Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

My 92 Subaru Legacy is having problems starting. When I

Customer Question
My 92 Subaru Legacy...

My 92 Subaru Legacy is having problems starting. When I tried to start it it didn't start made absolutely no noise at all. A friend came over to give me a jump and no go, battery at 12.6 v?? Process of elimination fuses good fuse link good by passed switch on clutch ( in case that wasn't good) and by passed to starter it cranks but wouldn't catch to start. Here's where it gets goofy I hung up from a phone call and I looked at my phone and it showed that my voicemail was being accessed I tapped my friend to show him and said I didn't do that and I tapped to hang it upas soon as I did that the chime for "keys in ignition" started going off my friend looked at me and said is that your car?? Yes yes it is shaking my head. So we tried to start it and it sounded like an electrical issue was happening crackled buzzy sound he hit the starter and she started. So I tried driving it the check engine light is now on and this intermittent ding ding ding is happening I can deal with that but when I was going up a fairly long incline it started to cut out, I pulled over , turned around to go back home. Later on another friend came over turned the key to start it got the same crackled buzz sound he turned it off and tried again and she started. Have you experienced anything similar to this or have any ideas what I need to be looking at . Please keep it simple for me to understand I'm a girl on my own so take that however you want I just need to get my car going and not ending up on the side of the road needing to be rescued. Hope to hear back from you thanx

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Legacy yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yeah just me did you get my first mssg

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Think that's it

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Subaru
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/27/2018
Subaru Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Sounds to me like possibly need to replace the ignition switch. The crackling and buzzing is probably relays not fully powering up because the ignition switch isn't properly sending them voltage. I'd start with the electronic portion of the ignition switch and go from there.If I've answered your question your satisfaction please remember to hit accept next to my name because that's the only way I get paid for my time. Let me know if you need more assistance.
I tried to get top plastic piece off the steering column/wheel (don't know what it's called) but was unsuccessful as the housing for screws were to long wouldn't clear steering wheel and it didn't look like the hole for the ignition was going to allow it to be removed. Is there a trick to remove those two pieces cuz I obviously didn't know how to. I appreciate your response so quickly I wasn't expecting it till tomorrow and I feel like I am on the right track as ignition switch. Ok stupid question it does live on the steering column where the key goes right???? It's not somewhere down further??? Sorry I know it's a really stupid question I'm just making sure that it's not some sort of a plug in type deal that apparently are called switches in some cases, please be patient I'm on the learning curve. Need to know how to remove the top plastic piece please so I can install new Thank you so much