Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

We have a 1997 Impreza. We have a intermittent starting

Customer Question
We have a 1997...

We have a 1997 Impreza. We have a intermittent starting problem. We thought it was the switch on the clutch. Then we replaced the starter and had the battery tested. Now it wont start at all. We dont get any clicking sound at the starter when the ignition is turn on and try to start. We do get a clicking sound in the dash behind the radio. We took the radio out and see 2 relays. One is a illumination relay and the other is a yellow relay with coil and com wrote on it with 12V 4B-1M it clicks when the ignition is turned. Can you help???

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Impreza yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes New starter, battery test, check clutch switch.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Subaru
4/2/2018
Subaru Mechanic: Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician replied 3 months ago
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Do you have a volt meter or test light so we can test the starting circuit?