Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

Wont turn over. 06 subaru legacy. Check battery...ect. I…

Customer Question
Wont turn over Mechanic's...

Wont turn over

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

06 subaru legacy

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Legacy yourself? What have you tried so far?

Check battery...ect

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I turn the key and the dash lights show up ...my temp gauge pegs out on hot and it doesnt turn over.....its my sons car whos 1000 miles away

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Subaru
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/29/2018
Subaru Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 2 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Did the temp gauge issue and no start issue start to occur at the same time?

Was the engine over heated and did it stall out?

Let me know,thanks Pete

i dont think so the harmon balancer broke while driving it so he put a new 1 on and belt.....he put a new battery in it and new cables ...he thinks it may be the ecm but i dont

O.k.,did the no start occur only after the balancer broke and the balancer was replaced and belt replaced?

hes checked the starter battery grounds
well a few weeks later

O.k.,just to be sure here is the issue the starter is not engaging to crank over the engine or that the starter is engaging to crank over the engine but the engine is not starting?

can these messages all be shown in txt messages also so he can answer some of the ?'s

Unfortunately, this is the only way I can post these messages here.I can offer a premium service of a phone call to him if you like.There is an additional fee.You can then give me his number to call him or request it yourself from your end and give me his number or we can continue here.

Thanks Pete

the starter is not engaging or clicking to even try to start the car
are the phone calls kind of unlimited or is it 1 phone call

It is usually one call but if needed I can always call back as well or continue here.Right now the web site does have some issues with the phone call feature so it would be hard to say for sure if it would even go through at this time.It sounds like they are correcting the phone call issue.

do u believe it could be the ecm
well i guess the phone call maybe wont work hes in the mountain and im assuming u will tell him to try something and then you'ld have to wait to see if it works .....ect ......thats why i was hoping he'd be able to call in and say yes or no and "ok try this"

The ECM is a definite possibility especially with the temp gauge showing hot.If the ECM has internal damage to it to where a circuit fried or the circuit board itself is faulty it will cause this issue as it is tied into the coolant temp gauge and the starting system.

Now on some models, if the engine coolant temp is hot like it is showing the ECM can disable starting until the temp cools down.Now if the engine coolant temp sensor has an internal fault it can display a false reading of hot like this and can disable starting.The first thing I recommend doing is to unplug the engine coolant temp sensor connector with the key off.Then turn on the key and see if the gauge reads cold and see if it starts then.If it still reads hot it is definitely a possibility the ECM has failed needing to be replaced.

He would need to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set as well as testing is done to make sure it is the ECM.If the ECM has to be replaced this usually has to be done by a dealer as it has to be programmed once it is replaced to allow proper starting and operation of the engine.The coolant temp sensor is shown below with its location on the engine to try this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yxjgahgx0p7nu5u/ect-03-29.pdf?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete

i will have him look at these things i pulled a ecm from junkyard on a 05 and 07 and sent to him but the junkyard said the 06 ecm does not match up with any other years...so im hoping that it turns it over it doesnt have to start it just turn over thinking then that it is the ecm .........what do you think of my hopes

The problem is that these ECM's are year specific and if you install the wrong one this can actually damage electronics on the engine and also damage the ECM as they can be wired differently for some of the components the ECM feeds and operates.There is a chance it turns over the engine but there is also a risk of damaging it or any other electronics it is tied into.

One place I use for used parts is http://www.car-part.com.They can even ship it to him.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

nope temp gauge goes to hot still withit unplugged
what do we try nxt

29 March 2018 11:59wont turn over

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the...
wont turn over

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

06 subaru legacy

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Legacy yourself? What have you tried so far?

Check battery...ect

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: ... view full
29 March 2018 11:5929 March 2018 12:00peterpete190 peterpete190
Subaru Mechanic
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.Did the temp gauge issue and no start issue start to occur at the same time?Was the engine over heated and did it stall out?Let me know,thanks Pete29 March 2018 12:05i dont think so the harmon balancer broke while driving it so he put a new 1 on and belt.....he put a new battery in it and new cables ...he thinks it may be the ecm but i dont
29 March 2018 12:08peterpete190 peterpete190
Subaru Mechanic
O.k.,did the no start occur only after the balancer broke and the balancer was replaced and belt replaced?29 March 2018 12:08hes checked the starter battery grounds
29 March 2018 12:12well a few weeks later
29 March 2018 12:14peterpete190 peterpete190
Subaru Mechanic
O.k.,just to be sure here is the issue the starter is not engaging to crank over the engine or that the starter is engaging to crank over the engine but the engine is not starting?29 March 2018 12:15can these messages all be shown in txt messages also so he can answer some of the ?'s
29 March 2018 12:17peterpete190 peterpete190
Subaru Mechanic
Unfortunately, this is the only way I can post these messages here.I can offer a premium service of a phone call to him if you like.There is an additional fee.You can then give me his number to call him or request it yourself from your end and give me his number or we can continue here.Thanks Pete29 March 2018 12:17yes the starter is not engaging or clicking to even try to start the car
29 March 2018 12:18so are the phone calls kind of unlimited or is it 1 phone call
29 March 2018 12:19peterpete190 peterpete190
Subaru Mechanic
It is usually one call but if needed I can always call back as well or continue here.Right now the web site does have some issues with the phone call feature so it would be hard to say for sure if it would even go through at this time.It sounds like they are correcting the phone call issue.29 March 2018 12:23do u believe it could be the ecm
29 March 2018 12:29peterpete190 peterpete190
Subaru Mechanic
The ECM is a definite possibility especially with the temp gauge showing hot.If the ECM has internal damage to it to where a circuit fried or the circuit board itself is faulty it will cause this issue as it is tied into the coolant temp gauge and the starting system.Now on some models, if the engine coolant temp is hot like it is showing the ECM can disable starting until the temp cools down.Now if the engine coolant temp sensor has an internal fault it can display a false reading of hot like this and can disable starting.The first thing I recommend doing is to unplug the engine coolant temp sensor connector with the key off.Then turn on the key and see if the gauge reads cold and see if it starts then.If it still reads hot it is definitely a possibility the ECM has failed needing to be replaced.He would need to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set as well as testing is done to make sure it is the ECM.If the ECM has to be replaced this usually has to be done by a dealer as it has to be programmed once it is replaced to allow proper starting and operation of the engine.The coolant temp sensor is shown below with its location on the engine to try this.https://www.dropbox.com/s/yxjgahgx0p7nu5u/ect-03-29.pdf?dl=0If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.Thanks, Pete29 March 2018 12:39i will have him look at these things i pulled a ecm from junkyard on a 05 and 07 and sent to him but the junkyard said the 06 ecm does not match up with any other years...so im hoping that it turns it over it doesnt have to start it just turn ov

I apologize for the delay as I was offline when you replied last night and this morning.

Was any wiring noticed to be shorted or damaged leading to the coolant temp sensor or any other engine wiring?

no
he has a scanner from autozone and when he plugs it in it turns on like it shouldnt tells him to turn on key to continue and he does that the scanner shut off which it shouldnt do it should read the status or codes

Has he tried to plug in the scan tool with the key on already to see if it powers on and communicates then at all?

dont think so when u first plug it in it seaches for your car then asks you if its a 06 subaru ect so guess he can try to do it manually he says that when he turn on his car his on board computer reads erhc fault
other problem he has is hes 4 hours away from a dealer that could run a diagnostic test big towing bill

The ERHC is a high-speed data communications fault.If he is seeing this on the on board vehicle display then there is a fault with one of the computers.He is on the right track as this can be a fault with the engine computer itself as it can put off this message here.

Unfortunately when a computer is installed usually it has to be programmed to work in the vehicle.But it is possible in some case to obtain a used one from the same year and model vehicle with the same engine and transmission and plug it in and it may work to start and operate the engine, but most of the time it has to be programmed due to the theft system.

Thanks Pete

is there any way is anti theft has locked up on him and not letting start or is that all done through the ecm

That is also done through the ECM.If the ECM has an internal fault ( which with the on board display he sees, the way the coolant temp gauge is acting up and a no start ) the ECM has to be replaced.I am leaning on this being the cause here with all of these symptoms.

Thanks Pete

ok the ecm appears to be under the passenger foot board correct and do you answer ? on the weekends

I will be here tomorrow but will be off Sunday.

The ECM is under the passenger footboard area and looks similar to below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3kgocfzv9h62na0/ecm-03-30.png?dl=0

Thanks Pete

Hey I’m the one with the Subaru and and I checked all the stuff that you said but we still think it’s the computer cause nothing changed when you said to unplug the heat sensors

I apologize for the delay.

It does sound like the computer itself is at fault.With all that is described on what is occurring here the computer does sound to be faulty needing replaced.

Thanks, Pete

Ok and do you think if I tried to pull start the car if it would start cause it’s a 5 speed
or any other ideas
i bought a used ecm from junkyard and waiting for arrival but can i doo anything in the meantime

If the ECM itself is at fault then pull starting it won't work as the ECM will not work to operate the engine electronics and components properly.

If it is the ECM the only way you will get it to start is by replacing it.In some cases the ECM has to be programmed to your vehicle after the ECM is installed which has to be done by a dealer before it will start and run.