Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I bought a used 2016 limited Subaru WRX late October 2017…

Customer Question
Hi. I bought a...

Hi. I bought a used 2016 limited Subaru WRX late October 2017 and have had the throw out bearing replacement 2 times and its about to be a third. what could be causing it to go so fast? In addition it now seems that the acceleration sounds rougher than before, and occasionally a rattling can be heard when the throttle is pressed

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

The rattling noise has been about two weeks or so. sounds like its coming from the engine bay

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your WRX yourself? What have you tried so far?

I havent tried anything myself as im fearful that it will void my warranty. the techs at the dealer i bring it to simply just replace the bearing. I asked them to check if the clutch fork is aligned properly or if there is any other issues and they gave me the all clear. I also noted my friend has a 2016 wrx and his clutch is MUCH harder to depress than mine. Don't know if that makes a difference

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think thats it! thank you

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Subaru
3/29/2018
Subaru Mechanic: tamaz, Subaru master technician replied 3 months ago
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician

Hi,my name is ***** ***** I'm going to do my best to help you today.To make sure I don't miss anything give me a minute to review you question.

Hi,for repeated bearing failures we have been replacing the clutch fork also due to slight bending,the bearing fails due to undue or constant failure so please make sure your foot does not rest on clutch pedal at any time other than shifting.As for the noise it could be many things so it's tough to comment without actually hearing the noise.Your friends clutch pedal does not sound healthy,a much harder to depress sounds like his pressure plate spring failure so he should be looking into getting into repaired,or it could be he has a aftermarket competition or racing setup clutch.Hope this helps let me know ,thanks for your time

Thank you for the reply! I never rest my foot on the clutch besides when shifting so next time I bring it into the dealer Ill ask them to replace the clutch fork and see what they say. 3 bearings in less than 6 months isn't typical right?

No not at all ,there was a new designed bearing put out possibly they were not using it just depleting there stock but I doubt it.