Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I have a 2010 forester i bought a 2012 engine but oil filter…

I have a 2010...

I have a 2010 forester i bought a 2012 engine but oil filter is in different spot

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

Engine blew up 108,000 mile bought a 2012 engine but oil filter is in different location

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just want to know if engine will work in 2010

3/28/2018
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician

Hi,my name is ***** ***** I'm going to do my best to help you today.To make sure I don't miss anything give me a minute to review you question.

No I'm sorry the filters are different sizes and will not work, also a 2012 takes 0w-20 oil the 2010 takes conventional 5/30

can i switch 2010 with 2012

No engines are different so are intake ,wiring and engine control modules, the exhaust is also different.The 2010 is belt driven and the 2012 is chain driven

tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician