Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I have a 2001 Forester with about 180K miles. Runs fine

Customer Question
Help please. I have...

Help please. I have a 2001 Forester with about 180K miles. Runs fine except every morning I have to empty the coolant overflow tank back into the radiator. Over time I have to add more coolant to the system. I cannot find any leaks. I have pressure checked the system, and did the combustion leak test. with nothing showing a leak. I have replaced the thermostat and the water pump. Still the same problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?

Never has hit the red but has gotten hot enough for me to rev engine while idling to bring it back down, but like i was saying it has a new water pump

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and no. I put in the thermostat, but had a mechanic put the water pump on

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I think I have it covered

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Subaru
3/28/2018
Subaru Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned you will receive a system automated call request, that is not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Also I am not paid hourly by just answers, I am only paid when you rate me, so if you could please respect my time and knowledge by rating me when we are finished that would be wonderful. If you could please indicate your level of experience and what you are looking to get out of your session today. Ok lets get started!

Have you bled the system with a coolant funnel?

no I just poor coolant in
I replaced the thermostat and water pump. The engine is pushing coolant into overflow tank but not pulling it out.
I have done a coolant pressure check, and a combustion leak test. Both seemed ok

could be your cap, have you tested it?

new cap, new thermostat, and new waterpump

could be your cap, have you tested it?

you are not helping by asking same question. New Cap

new dosent mean its working correctly, I have about 15% of new parts go bad, so if you havent tested it no way to know if its working so again have you tested the cap? and did you test the thermostat before install?

no I did not test either
But the car heats up then maintains constant temp. Just not pulling fluid back out of overflow

I would have that cap checked and also double check your lines to the reservoir and back some are just pushed on and have air leak there causing the fluid not to return, adding a clamp on both ends is always a good idea

its a new cap how can i have it checked?

they have pressure tester fittings for the coolant pressure test kit you can get to test it, most auto part stores will do it for free if they have one

did that and it is holding pressure, at least it did not drop below much more than me letting it sit with pressure for 5 min

if thats ok you prob have a pinhole leak in the return fill hose

when I go out the next day to empty overflow back in the radiator cap comes off with an exhale his. So the system is presurized. I would think if anything it would suck in air. am I wrong?

yeah it should be and prob is just sucking air in though the leak in the return fill tube to the reservoir, try replacing it with new clamps on each end and see how it does