Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

Bought used Subaru. Head gaskets were supposedly changed and…

Bought used Subaru....

Bought used Subaru. Head gaskets were supposedly changed and heads planed. Drove car 1,000 miles and car quit coasting down a hill. There was steam coming out radiator cap and it blew out all the antifreeze. Car was not overheated. Added antifreeze to radiator and tried to restart car. Car will not start and it blows prestone out of radiator with cap off

Mechanic's Assistant: When it comes to this particular vehicle, have flat tires been a problem in the past?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Subaru?

2002 Subura Outback

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?

Would like to fix ourselves. It is sitting on side street in town. Only work done was to add antifreeze

3/27/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

Really sorry to hear you are dealing with this issue, but to me it sounds like one of the head gaskets is so blown the compression alone is pushing the coolant out of the radiator. There honestly is nothing else that would do this unless something is cracked. If the head gaskets weren't done properly, then it's very possible this happened. The final step in torquing the head bolts is often missed and will cause this type of issue. About all you can do is a leak down test to see if putting air into the cylinder forces the coolant to bubble or blow out of the radiator.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to earn a 5 star rating from you.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

Thank you

You're welcome and I really wish it were better news, but if it's blowing coolant out like that, there just isn't anything else that will do that.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do from here to help.

Also, kindly remember to rate my answer.

Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician