Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

2009 legacy. Just had front wheel bearings, brakes and

2009 legacy. Just...

2009 legacy. Just had front wheel bearings, brakes and exhaust replaced. Now I start driving and withing 3-4 minutes, the traction control, abs, and brake lights all come on. The speedometer goes the whole way to the right (fast). I can drive to pull over, but I cannot put into park (or reverse) until the key is shut off and started again. It does not throw any codes at all.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

ABS, Brake system and traction control

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Legacy yourself? What have you tried so far?

We replaced front wheel bearing assemblies, brakes, rotors and exhaust manifold ourselves.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

We pulled and cleaned the wheel speed sensors

3/25/2018
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** you had codes pulled from the abs module yet?

how would I do that? It doesn't have any codes.
We have a code reader and it doesn't show any codes. When shutting the car off to put into park, it clears all the warning lights.
Could it be one of the new wheel bearing assemblies has a bad abs sensor?

most cheaper code readers only read engine codes, which one do you have?

Our reader shows the ABS system. Kobra obd2 scanner
Our scanner shows the speed on the speedometer, but when speedometer flips to the right, the scanner shows that speed.

ok, then you have a bad wheel speed sensor, or the wheel bearing is not correct, the wheel speed sensor gets its reading off the wheel bearing tone ring inside, where did you get the wheel bearing assembly?

At a local auto parts store. Should I just return and get another one?

Yes, if the speedo is affected, then it will be the right front one, this is where the speedo gets its signal, you can have the parts house scan the abs system and pull the code, most will do this for free, and this will verify which one is bad,Tim

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Please dont forget t rate me, so I can get credit for helping, thanks,Tim