Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

My fans in front of the radiator stopped working I have

Customer Question
My fans in front...

My fans in front of the radiator stopped working I have changed the relay and the control module as well as the motors ... what next !!

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

250,000

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Subaru?

2006 tribeca b9

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tribeca yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I have replaced the relay, control module , and the motors

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Subaru
3/25/2018
Subaru Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 25 days ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.​ Does pin 2 at fan control module have power?

I meant to say pin 3.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
what is that.. the relay onder the hood
what is pin 3
we changed the relay under the hood , the motors , and the fan control module and then we did the reset thing with the batteries cables

There should be a 3 pin connector at the cooling fan module, we need to check pin 3 for voltage with key on. Let me know, thanks.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
can you please call now
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
if you can not call us I need a refund so I can call someone else

I'm not able to call at the moment but someone else can. I'm happy to continue talking on chat, let me know if you are able to check voltage on plug going to fan module. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
lets us check

Thanks, ***** ***** updated. I think we can get this figured out with some fairly simple testing.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
we are working on that now

Sounds good, thanks.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
there is no power coming out of the fan control module
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
we have power to relay

Here is a picture of fan control module connector. Did you check pin 3 for power? Pin 1 should also have ground. Let me know, thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gvmehal3zfyv6k0/fan.PNG?dl=0

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
putting in new relay now
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
does key have to be on or do I have to crank up the car

O​k, if that doesn't help check for power/ground at pins 1 and 3 of cooling fan module connector. Let me know, thanks.

I'm not completely sure but key on should be enough.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
nothing going to fan control module

Unplug the ECM and ground wire going to pin 29 with key on, this should activate relay sending power to pin 3. Let me know, thanks.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
where is it located inside the car or under the hood
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
please explain what is ecm and which ground wire the one on the battery ?

I'm not sure what you mean by "which ground is the one on the battery". The wire should be black and it connects to the - side on battery. Here is a picture of the ECM.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/049ost1yaxh2gpq/ecms.pdf?dl=0

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
is the ecm behind glove compartment

It is located behind kick panel on passenger side, here is another diagram.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e7fm5jqg2wmao0z/ec.pdf?dl=0

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
this is too much for us ... I can not figure out why am i removing the floor mat ... .. is it the black panel .. sorry really struggling with this
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Can't afford a grand at dealer to do this

You need to remove floor mat to access cover. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
can we take a pick and send you ...

Yes that is fine.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
do we have to remove the carpet

No, if you look in area though you should be able to locate it. It is either below glovebox or behind kick panel.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
did you recieve my pic

No I didn't, you need to click on paperclip icon to upload a picture.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
It is very hot here already ... can I email you this evening or do I have to pay again?

That is fine, you can reply back to me this evening. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
thanks

No problem, I'll talk to you then.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
DAN THIS IS MY PASSENGERS SIDE FLOOR IN MY SUV ... IS THE RUNNING BOARD AND THE PANNEL THE SAME ?

Yes it is the passenger side. The runningboard is outside of vehicle and there are many diferent types of panels.

Subaru Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 20 days ago

Ever get it figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer. Thanks.

Dan, Technician