Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

When air conditioning compresor turns on every 20 sec th car…

When air conditioning compresor...

When air conditioning compresor turns on every 20 sec th car chirps and loses power for that brief sec dealer tech and engenier cant seem to find the problem any ideas

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Every 20 sec like a hicup

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Subaru?

16 impreza base hatchback

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Hatchback yourself? What have you tried so far?

Like i wrote before dealer

3/24/2018
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

what has the dealer done to isolate the problem? have they done a performance test on the A/C system which includes froen pressures on high and low side. If it robs engine power only when the compressor is engaged it's doing one of two things. [ too much pressure in the A/C system or the compressor itself is seizing up.] If I could see the Freon pressures I could help you better.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
they have done that and replaced compresor, belt, and pulley and it still does it
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
When u read the conversation dont hesitate to ask me a question
eric remington

ok when compressor engages it puts a load on engine so having a slight power loss under load is not abnormal. if belt is squealing the adjustment or automatic tensioner may be faulty...make sense? when you engage compressor you place a load on engine so power loss will be noticed. how many miles? have you owned vehicle since new?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Ive had vehicle since new the power loss is significant the car hicups every time like its going to cut off

O​K DOES THE IDLE GO DOWN SIGNIFICANTLY ? YOU MAY HAVE PROBLEM IWTH IDLE MOTOR. BU THINGS LIKE PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE CLEANING OF THROTTLE PLATES SHOULD BE PERFORMED. BUT IT HAS GOOD POWER STILL JUST A DRASTIC CHANGE IN RPM? JUST SITTING THERE IN PARK IF AC TURNED ON. PROBABLE IDLE MOTOR

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
When its on idle it dose not lose power u here the compresor kick on and off and engine is steady but the engine dosent lose power when u r driving is when it loses power like a hicup it jerks like its going to cut off
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Its a impreza 2016 2.0i 22000miles

YES CLEAN THROTTLE BODY REPLACE IDLE MOTOR REPLACE SPARK PLUGS IF NEEDED EVERY 60 TO 90K...BIGGESTT THING IDLE MOTOR...,MAKE SENSE

L​OW MILES...HMM IDLE MOTOR SHOULD STILL BE COVERED

U​NDER WARRANTY....TELL DEALER IDLE WILL NOT HOLD...COMPUTER COMMANDS IDLE MOTOR TO INCREASE IDLE MOTOR SPEED WHEN AC IS TURNED ON DUE TO ANTICIPATED LOAD. IF IDLE MOTOR IS NOT WORKING PROPERLY IDLE WILL DROP BECUSE IT IS NOT RESPONDING TO PCM COMMAND. MAKE SENSE? YOU CAN TRY AND CLEAN IT INTERNALLY CLEAN THROTTLE BODY ETC BUT ITS LOW MILES SHOULD NT BE THAT DIRY INSIDE YET...GIVE ME VIN NUMBER AND I WILL CK FOR ANY RECALLS OR TECH SERVICE BULLETINS

A​NY CODES...SOMETIMES IN SCENARIOS LIKE THIS YOU MAY NOT HAVE ANY CODES...BUT YOU CAN CK...ALSO ANY LIGHTS STAYING ON DASH?. BATTERY GOOD AND STRONG?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thanks ill check on that

PLEASE DO RATE ME IF YOU DONT WANT ANY MORE INFO

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
No codes no lights batt good

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service before you go. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges. Rating my answer positive charges your account the full question value and credits me. Submitting for a refund removes the credit from my account and makes me donate my time and experience for free, which is not my intention. Please only rate positive if you are satisfied and intend on paying for the services you agreed to. Thanks!

eric remington
eric remington
eric remington
eric remington