Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

2010 outback, the key fob quit working, I changed battery as…

2010 outback,...

2010 outback, the key fob quit working, I changed battery as it had happened before about 3-4 months ago. So I changed battery but still not working. Yesterday evening as driving home I noticed the time/temp reading on the center dash quit showing, and the dome interior lights not working. Fix?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

No,

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?

I would like to try, or maybe ask brother in law for help if I can

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No not that I know of thanks

3/23/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

Can you get in the car to see if it will start?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thanks

Can you tell me if the car will start or not?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would rather be able to have some instructions, things to try. As I will have to go to my brother in laws for some assistance. Is that possible,

That's no problem, we don't need a call, but I do need you to answer my questions, if they aren't showing on your end, please let me know.

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok I will do my best, thanks

Will the car start and run?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no problems, I can use the key to unlock door, everything else seems to work as usual
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have the car manual in car

Ok

Thanks for the info.

It sounds like there may be an issue with the body integrated unit. This is what the key fob talks to when you push the button. I realize the battery is new, but if you don't have a second fob to try, I would head on over to a parts store and have the fob tested. It may not be sending any signal at all. If it is then you know you are looking at an issue with the keyless entry. This may not be something you can repair without a scan tool.

The dome lights are tied in to this as well, but if you can give me a minute i will locate the fuse so we can eliminate that as the problem with the lights.

Please stand by.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sounds good, thanks. Any parts store?

Most of the larger parts stores can test the fob for you without a problem. Advanced, Autozone and maybe O'reilly's if you have one nearby. Even the dealer would likely check it for free for you.

I would like to have you check fuse #10 in the fuse box under the hood. Most of the power comes from the BIU but it's worth looking at.

Also, check the door switch on the door jam, it's got a rubber cover and sometimes the seatbelt will hit it if t doesn't retract all the way when you close the door. This can damage it and cause the light problem.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much, I have to wait until later this afternoon to have my brother in law's help, but I will see if Pep Boys in town will be able to help me. Thanks Have a good day

You are very welcome and thank you for the rating. I think they can check the fob for you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great. Have a good day Sir
Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician