Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I had the timing belt off to change the water pump and both…

I had the timing...

I had the timing belt off to change the water pump and both camshafts spun on me. I didn't think to mark where they were since I thought they would stay put. How do I reset the the camshafts in relation to the crankshaft? It is a 2008 subaru outback with a 2.5 SOHC engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?

It was changed about 40,000 mi ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '08 Subaru?

Outback with a 2.5 SOHC

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am fixing it myself. I have tried setting the sprockets to little orange specs marked on all three pulleys

3/21/2018
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, I am Randall. I am working on answering your question now, Please allow me a few min to reply. Meantime? you may see a popup for phone call, I do NOT send this, the system does, I would prefer to keep in chat/email however, at times a call may help. I can not send files or diagrams via phone so lets start out in chat/email and go from there. Back shortly, Thanks

Ok,the simple way for me to answer this? is I have attached a full repair file for changing the timing belt, You must follow each and every step. well some you know and can skip but this file is the full factory information/repair info for doing the timing belt and will walk you through each step.I have attached a file in .pdf format for your review.

Please rate my service provided using the rating stars on your page.
Rating now does NOT close this post.
You can still come back to me after leaving a rating for me.
This is only for JA to track my service, Thanks. Randall

Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Randall C.
This does not answer my question! I have this info but it doesn't tell me how to set the cam sprockets as they turned with the belt off and not being marked. Therefore, I have no way of knowing where to turn them.
Arvin

so you do not have marks on the timing belt? you should? the marks on timing belt align with the marks on front edge of the cams. It si shown in the steps. you only turn the cams so the front marks on tha cams are like 1 oclock then? when putting belt on yoy line the cam marks to the marks. stripes on the timing belt.

NOT 1 oclock, sorry., turn cams to roughly 12 oclock/straight up. then the belt marks are set on the from cam marks

I did not see any marks on the belt but I will check again.

that is the only way to do the job, I know you are to mark in first steps but new belts have the marks. That is how it is done,.If using old belt marks may be worn off and you then need a new belt

This belt has no marks that I can find.
If I set the crankshaft to where the mark is up and then do the same to the cam sprockets shouldn't it start? However, the crankshaft has to turn more than once to each of the cam sprockets.

crank does not matter in respect, you only align the crank, align the cams and put belt on, I sent picture of the cam marks. The marks on belt? they are the ones you do if using old balt so it falls into wear position only. I am sorry but on this engine the new belt will not have marks I confused with another engine, sorry,

I will work on it more tomorrow.
Thanks

i am online most alol day tomorrow so just reply to this post tomorrow and I will get it, thanks

Randall C.,
You did not answer my question. I already have the info you sent me!
What I need to know is how do I find the setting for the camshaft sprockets since they turned while the belt was off and they were not marked before taking the belt off?

I am saying the cams have marks on them, you line those marks up to the marks on the engine. I sent picture of this, You do not mark the cams and do not have to, They need to be turned till the marks on the cams line up. I undersatand you have the info but again.. I sent a picture last time to show the marks on the cams and block, Your missing this step

Sorry! this last response is an earlier one that I sent by mistake to the email prompt and they just forwarded it to you. I will be working on it today.
No need to respond.

oh, ok, sorry.

If the camshafts are totally out of sink will the pistons damage the valves? It turns as though there is no compression.

DOHC are interference SOHC like your is non interference so you are ok and yes, if timing off, it will crank fast and lack compression but will not hit valves/pistons

I lined up the orange dot on the crankshaft with its corresponding orange dot on the belt retainer above. I then lined up the orange dot on the camshafts with the mark at the top on the head. It didn't work. I then gave the crankshaft one turn and reset the cam sprockets the half turn to get them to top center and that didn't work either.

I am confused. the crank? it can NOT be off, NO need to turn it at all. Cams? what do you mean by nothing working? You have a mark on front edge of each cam sprcoket and mark on the block/head to align to, Crank has its own marks. Maybe send a picture of a cam sprocket and crank gear to this post.

I have aligned the sprockets the way your diagram indicates. However, The car does not start and does not feel or sound like it has compression. I removed the left front spark plug and connected my compression tester and I got no compression. Is it possible that this an interference engine and that I have damaged the valves?

please send VIN#

4S4 BP61C9 85322110
I will try send this again!
4S4 BP61C9 85322110