Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

Alright, my speedometer and odometer isn't working and the…

Alright, my speedometer and...

Alright, my speedometer and odometer isn't working and the transmission is having trouble engaging, in drive it will work OK for a bit then acts like its out of gear and when i put it in first it seems to reengage and act like its in drive then catches up to itself and i put it back in drive I've got a p1540 and a p0500 error codes so i replaced the vss and it still does the same thing also has a p 0301 code and the at temp oil light is flashing

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Is it bright red, or is it dirty?

It's not bright red it's more of a dark burgandy but its at the right level

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Subaru?

1998 forester

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?

Only changing the vehicle speed sensor on the transmission as that's the code i was given by the diagnostics machine

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't know if it's related but the radio keeps cutting on and off so I'm wondering if it might be an electrical problem

3/21/2018
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Does the vehicle have cruise control, can you confirm it to does not work?

It does not have cruise control
I do not wish to call

Thanks, ***** ***** stuff on this now.

No speedometer can cause transmission issues, and when you have issues outside the transmission those should be addressed before the transmission since the trans uses outside inputs to work correctly. So let's address the speedometer first.

Your codes 1540 and 0500 are both for speed signal issues. So lets ohm test the speed signal sensor wires from the transmission to the instrument cluster to make sure they are not broken or shorted to other wires with this diagram https://www.dropbox.com/s/q3s2fhx2hpmfnu3/98VSS.pdf?dl=0

The 0301 ode means cylinder 1 is misfiring. So see if that is to blame on the plugs or wires.

Was that the transmission oil temp light flashing, if so that may be related to the speed signal. If it only comes on after driving a while then we need to see if there is actually an oil temperature issue or temp sensor issue..

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician