Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

When the car is at idle the engine makes a chirping sound.

When the car is...

When the car is at idle the engine makes a chirping sound. When you increase RPM's the chirping goes away

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?

About 4,000 miles, not sure the engine size, car is not home right now

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Subaru?

2015 crosstrek

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, took it to local repair shop and they said that is just what subarus do. I live on a small island in Alaska, nearest subaru dealership is 300 miles away by boat.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, I will try to find model and engine size.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

Thank you.
The car is a 2014 XV Crosstrek 2.0i limited

This indicates a loose belt or bad pulley. I would remove the drive belt, then spin all the pulley's by hand to see which one feels rough or makes noise. It's not what Subaru's do lol. Also, you can start the car with the drive belt off and make sure the noise is gone. If it is, then it clearly points to the belt or pulley as the issue.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician