Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

07 Legacy. son was driving. His description is, as he

07 Legacy. son was...

07 Legacy. son was driving. His description is , as he started up a long gradual grade hill he began to lose power. Once at the top the car stalled. I got there and was able to get the car started and drove it 1 mile to autozone. Car was in limp mode. Autozone was unable to scan the car(would not read). Check engine light was steady on with flashing cruise control light. Checked fuel cap and it was missing!!! Son does not remember how long ago he lost it!!! 16yo ugh. Replaced with a new cap and will only turn over but does sputter when foot is put to the floor. You can hear the fuel pump engage with the turn of the key. took air intake off and splashed a small amount of gas into the intake and car started but never really idled just sputtered for 2 min then died again. no change when depressing the gas pedal.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Engine light was solid, cruise blincked. After gas cap was replaced no lights on while eng is running

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Legacy yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have scanned the engine and the only codes are old ABS codes. Im working on the car myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing i can think of

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

It will have trouble running without the mass air flow sensor plugged in. If it was disconnected when you added fuel through the throttle body it would only run for a few seconds.

I would run that test again with the maf unplugged, then check the fuel pressure. It sounds like you have spark because it's trying to run, so checking the fuel pressure might confirm there is a fuel pump issue. If not, then it could be a fuel injector issue as in they aren't pulsing like they should.

Depending on the miles on the car, the timing belt may have jumped time, this might cause it to lose power if it's firing at the wrong time. So I might check that, but not until checking the fuel pressure. That seems like the place to start in my opinion.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did get a CAN codeUI 202 CAN-HS bus off and UI 221 CAN-HS ECM non-receive data. but they are listed as past codes. I will try a splash of fuel again and reconnect and check the live scan for fuel pressure. What pressure should it be at?

Fuel pressure should run about 48 psi while cranking the engine.

Those can codes are usually related to low battery which could explain why they are old past codes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
reattached everything and eng did rev up. did a live diagnostic but couldnt find the pressure reading while eng was running. will try again in a bit. car has 161,000 but timing belt was replaced about 120,000 if my memory is correct. thanks for the info!!! you shaved an hour or 2 off of me beating my head on the hood!!!!

This doesn't have a pressure sensor, so you'll have to get a pressure gauge with the adapter to check the fuel pressure.

It could also be an issue with the mass air flow sensor or a plugged up air filter. If it's running now and will rev up, I would also consider the catalytic converter as a possible issue. If it's plugging up when it get's hot, it might be causing the problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It only starts and sputters at barley an idle but when i press the gas pedal it will rev then stall. still will not remain running.

Ok, with everything still hooked up, unplug the mass air flow sensor and then start it and see if there is any improvement.

If there is, then the maf is the problem.

Try it and let me know.

Thanks.

Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician