Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

2005 outback with P0131 is it safe to drive for 100 miles.

2005 outback with P0131...

2005 outback with P0131 is it safe to drive for 100 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

NNo thank you

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Automotive Service Technician

Hello. I'll be right with you.

OK - so this is a fault code that relates to the front wideband oxygen sensor. This sensor has a massive effect on the way the vehicle drives and performs.

DTC P0131 O2 SENSOR CIRCUIT LOW VOLTAGE (BANK 1 SENSOR 1)

Generally, this is either the sensor, or a wiring problem between the sensor and the computer, or, I have seen this code set if there is a problem with the exhaust system.

The question becomes... how is the vehicle running? If it is running as it normally would, then the engine computer has gone into a default mode, and is delivering fuel based on other sensors, and learned values. Driving it for 100 miles probably won't be detrimental, but get it fixed, as there is an effect on emissions and potential catalytic converter damage.

If it is running poorly - hesitation, misfiring, stalling, then I would say no -don't drive it, as the computer is still trying to fuel the engine based upon bad information from the front oxygen sensor, and there could be some collateral damage, especially to the catalytic converter.

Hope that helps. If I've answered your question to your satisfaction, please close the question, and rate my service. Regards, Canuck

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
car is running ok just now but it is miles from a repair shop to get it fixed.

If the check engine light is not flashing, and it is running ok, it should work out.

Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech