Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I've got a 2000 Subaru Outback Sport with drum brakes in the…

Hi, I've got a...

Hi, I've got a 2000 Subaru Outback Sport with drum brakes in the rear, I recently had all 4 wheels serviced with new pads / liners & drums /disks but after a few thousand miles, the rear brakes have started squealing. When the brakes are cold, it seems the noise is not present but after a couple of stops, the squealing is loud. I'm also noticing a lot of brake dusk on my wheels coming from the rear, much more than the front pads that were changed at the same time.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried "bleeding the brakes" to get any air out of the line?

Yes, the brakes were bled with a power bleeder at the shop after the rotors / drums and pads were replaced and the brake pressure has been the same as prior to the brake service

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback Sport yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have worked on it myself in the past but in this case I had take the car to a mechanic to do the brake work

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have not tried anything yet, the shop that did the work is saying it's normal for these cars but I've never had that before so I feel like the brakes should be quiet. that's it! thanks!

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

There could be a couple of causes of this issue.

The first might be the quality of brake shoes they used. Lower quality tends to make noise more frequently than the original equipment.

Secondly, you said you are seeing a lot of brake dust. The brake dust that is locked inside the drum can cause the noise. If there is too much in there it causes vibration which essentially is what most brake noise is all about.

So if this is the case the question will be why. Well, it could be the material of the shoes, lower quality wears faster than high quality. It could be over adjustment, or a problem with the parking brake no off all the way. Finally, if one of the wheel cylinders is sticking on or not returning, then essentially it's going to apply the brakes until that section of the shoe wears out. These do need to be checked closely for any of these concerns. The biggest one in my mind is why there is so much dust. Especially on the rear drum brakes which almost never leave any dust at all.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.

Thank you so much!

Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician