Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

My key fob doesn't lock/unlock the doors anymore. I upgraded…

My key fob doesn't...

My key fob doesn't lock/unlock the doors anymore. I upgraded my battery and now the fob doesn't work. I can still start the car.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you double-checked to make sure the positive and negative signs are lined up correctly?

On the fob or the car?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Subaru?

2016 Outback Limited

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?

I replaced the car battery.

3/17/2018
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you.

Do you have another key fob?

Neither will unlock/lock. Can start car with either

Do the power locks work without the fob by pressing the button on the door?

The first thing you should do is disconnect the battery and hold the two cables together for 5 minutes. Reconnect the cables positive first then negative. This is called a capacitance discharge.

If resetting the battery does not work then you should take this in to the dealer. The scan tool is needed to check for codes in the keyless access control module and body integrated unit.

2. Remove and visually inspect the following fuses.

• No. 14 (in fuse & relay box)

• No. 26 (in fuse & relay box)

• No. 14 (in main fuse box)

Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Looks like resetting the battery worked. Thank you very much!

Great, and thanks for the rating!