Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I am having trouble filling my gas tank. It cuts out pretty…

I am having trouble...

I am having trouble filling my gas tank. It cuts out pretty much right after I start to fill. I have taken the hose off the canister that has tank label next to it and the problem has not gone away. Do you have another suggestion that I can try to figure out what is wrong.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

It seems to have less mpg and seems to start pretty much the same way.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Subaru?

02 forester

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?

Right now I am. I had gotten a code for a selonoid but that has been coded before and I did not have an issue with filling.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I had also changed pretty much all the parts that are connected to the canister from the other car. They did not say that they had any problem other than blown head gasket

3/16/2018
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you. I am reviewing your question now, and will reply shortly.

The vent tube probably has cob webs in it. You have to remove all the hoses and use compressed air to blow them out to free the clog. This is a common problem.

Do you have the code number?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did have it but the paper has disappeared on me. I know I did have a code for evap purge/vent selonoid ? Does that make sense, just trying to remember how it was stated

Yeah that does not make sense. I need the code number. There is pressure control, drain valve, purge and vent valves. 4 different solenoids.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just asked my husband and he thinks the code was 1443

Great that helps alot!

That code is referring to the drain valve. It is located on the charcoal canister which is behind the passengers rear tire. You need to replace the canister. Make sure that the drain hose leading to the canister is free of any blockage. If there is blockage replace the hose.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving a positive (3 star or higher) rating would be appreciated
You can do this rating by clicking on the stars.
This will not close your question and we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free!
I do not get credit unless you give a positive rating.
Do not give a negative rating (2 stars or less) please ask what you need more help with and let’s get your question answered!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay. I will try that. thanks

Your Welcome.

Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Dan, ASE Certified Technician