Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

My 2000 just died, now there is nothing. It won't even show…

My 2000 just died...

My 2000 just died, now there is nothing. It won't even show on a code reader. No fuel no spark.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

It won't start.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '00 Subaru?

Outback wagon.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?

I swapped out the ecm. Still nothing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Hooked up a code reader to three ecm s in the car it wouldn't see any of them.

3/16/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

Does the check engine light come on when you turn the key on?

No check engine light.

Ok, it sounds possible the ecm isn't getting any power. Please give me a moment to pull up the wiring diagram and see if I can figure out what fuses to check.

Does all the stuff that should work off the key otherwise work? Headlights, radio, wipers and blower motor?

No check engine light. All else seems normal. Security light is blinking?

In the fuse box under the hood I would like you to check SBF 5. This is a fusible link that will supply power to the main relay on the car. If this fuse blows, then the ecm won't power up. This could be causing the problem. You can look through the top of it and see if it's blown or not. Sometimes it's tough to tell, so take a flashlight and wiggle the link while you look to see if it's got blown copper in it or not.

Please check this and let me know.

Security light is normal when the key is out of the ignition.

No check engine light. All else seems normal. Security light is blinking? Is it a 30 amp fusible link?

Looking at the wiring diagram I can't tell how many amps the link is.

The security lamp if it's factory will blink when the key is out of the ignition or the engine is off.

Check fuse #13 in the fuse box inside the car also, this is one of the powers for the main relay, if it's blown it might not kick the ecm on for you.

Well that one looks very suspect, I will start with that. Thanks and I will get back to you if I need more help.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician