Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I recently found out that both links on my rear sway bar are…

I recently found out...

I recently found out that both links on my rear sway bar are cracked or missing. Mechanic would not pass for safety (inspection for 2017) Big O had put a new set of tires on my 2004 Subaru Outback, and 30,000 Miles later, found out they were the wrong size. (I have correct new ones now) Could this cause cracked links to sway bar? What other problems?

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?

The tires I have now are about 6 months old. I found out I have been driving on the wrong size tires, before I got the new ones

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?

I need to take in and get sway bar fixed. Can I hold Big-O responsible for any damage, that could have occurred due to the wrong tires (for 20 to 30,000 miles)

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Clacking front right, when I turn car. Steering belt going out.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/15/2018
Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Tire size would not have any effect on the sway bar links. What normally happens to them is the rubber bushing fail due to age over time and they need to be replaced. Since yours were 14 years old this problem is most commonly just due to normal wear.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am also having problems with differential? Transmission? It’s like the car jerks into gear, or rear tires slip. It lags if that makes sense. My car only has 134,000 miles
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I also have clacking sound on left front side, when I turn car.

Depending on which tires they had on it especially if the front tires where different size then the rear that could have caused some problems with rear differential. You need all furs tries to be the exact same size. When the tries were installed where they all the same size?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
all tires were same size

Okay, then the tries would not have caused any rear differential issues if in fact, you have one. For the noise you are hearing up front when turning I would have then check the upper strut mount bearing as well as the front tie rod ends for any signs of wear.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay great, that arms me with some knowledge, when I take my vehicle in. Dealership tried to stick it to me, but I avoid them anyway.

Knowledge is power for sure and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service at the top right hand side of the page so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Any idea what that would cost to have both links replaced? To replace steering belt? What is reasonable?

The link kit lists for 57.00 and the labor to replace both sides calls for .6 of one hour.

Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great thank you!
Kim
Ronnie
Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician