Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

The battery in my 2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport died. I…

Customer Question
The battery in my 2000...
The battery in my 2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport died. I charged it with a portable charger. During the charging process the front and rear turn signals all started to flash at once. The entire dashboard flashes too. I tried the emergency flasher switch on the dashboard but that activated the emergency flashers in addition to the flashing I described above. What does this mean and how can I make it stop?
It flashes 30 times and then it stops flashing for 10 seconds and then flashes 30 more times, etc. Thanks.
It
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Subaru
3/15/2018
Subaru Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 5 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you.

do you have a voltmeter?

No voltmeter

disconnect the battery cables short them together for 5 minutes then reconnect,

Do you mean put the ends of the positive and negative cables together so they are touching each other?

yes.

Ok. I’ll do it and keep this chat open. After 5 minutes I should reconnect the cables to the battery and start the car, right?

yes

I shorted them together and reconnected them and it started flashing again

ok, then without a voltmeter there's not much I can do for you. If I had to guess, your battery is the problem

Is it possible that the pattern of 30 blinks and a 10-second break some kind of signal?

not that pattern but give me a few to look something up

lock then unlock the doors with your key fob

did you try that?

It’s dark now and I disconnected the battery so I’ll have to try it tomorrow morning.

ok

hows it going?

Hi David. Sorry for the long silence. We had a series of snowstorms. Thanks for hanging out. I used the key fob to open the door as you suggested.
The blinking stopped but now the front and rear parking lights are on steadily ( not blinking) and I can only get them to shut off by disconnecting the battery

interesting. let me think about that