Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I am trying to change spark plugs and one doesn't come out…

I am trying to...

I am trying to change spark plugs and one doesn't come out after I loosen it with a socket.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? When did you last change the plugs?

139,000. Along time ago. Also, this one was quite tight.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Subaru?

2002 Outback

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, It was leaking oil and cause the check engine light to come on.

3/13/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

Can you be sure the plug is loose in there? You do feel it backing out when you loosen it?

No chance the spark plug boot broke and is in the way down there?

I unthreaded it until I felt it was loose but when I pull the socket out there was no plug. Had tried to loose it several times but not luck. I don't feel it in the socket like the other ones.
I don't know how to tell if it is broken.

Ok

Couple of things, first, because the boot was covered in oil, check and make sure the boot is as long as the others. This way we know it didn't break off. One thing I used to do with these is use a small rubber tube. Once the plug is loose, push it over the plug and pull the plug out.

Try this and let me know.

What is the boot?

The boot is the part of the spark plug wire that goes over the spark plug and down through the valve cover. If there is oil on the boot, it makes it weak and sometimes they break when you pull them off the plug.

It look the same length as the other one on that side.
I tried connect the spark plug wire and it snaps on which mades me think the plug is not completely loose. But I can seen to get is loose with the socket.

Ok, not sure I can do much from here. If the plug won't come loose it's possible it broke off in the cylinder head or the nut section has separated from the threads.

If you have compressed air you could attempt to blow the hole out in case there is any debris in there that might be stopping the socket from getting a good bite on the plug. Also, make sure you don't have any section of broken plug in the socket itself causing the problem.

No compressed air here. I doe seem like the socket has trouble getting all the way on.

Ok, you might take a very thin screwdriver and flashlight and take a look in there and see if there is something in the way. If you can scrape around the with the screwdriver to free up debris and try again.

I stuck my finger in and can feel the plug loose and laying down.

If it's laying down, then it should be ready to come out. Take a small piece of hose and jam it onto the end of the plug and pull it out of there. Or a good magnet might work.

I will try to find a magnet. I is laying just below the tube so a rubber hose might not work. I might have to go to the hardware store for a magnet. How to we keep up the conversation?

There should be links for you to get back here in your email.

I will be off about 5 pm today, but will check back in once I return.

Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Phone call session started