Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

Car wont start lights dont work windows wont go down dash…

Car wont start lights...

Car wont start lights dont work windows wont go down dash gages dont work replaced battery and alternator

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Subaru?

Its like a short

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Subaru?

99 legacy outback

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes checked all fuses changed battery and alternator

3/12/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

In the main fuse box under the hood you will find a black wire. This is the main fusible link. Pull on it and see if it's split or broken. You might even find it's melted into the box. If it's broken or melted it needs to be replaced. This prevents any battery power from getting to the car. Check it out and let me know.

Thanks.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No its fine not melted lose or broken
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I checked wire nothing is wrong wit it

Then you have a problem with the new batteries connection to that fuse box. Possibly a broken positive battery cable, not clamped tight, the plastic is still on the battery. It's clearly not providing power to the fuse box. If you have a test light, check some of the fuses in there for power.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Everything is brand new, prior to this my car would stop like if im at a light and step on brake, as soon as i let off brake it would stop

There is no power in the car, this can only happen if the battery is disconnected, either by the cable or the main fusible link. Get a test light, make sure the battery has power, then test the main fuse under the hood. Check one side for power, if there is power, test the other side. If you have power to that, then it's got to be the fuse box itself causing the issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The car turned on now but windows dont work and instrument panel dont work

Ah, so the car is starting and just lacking the dash and the windows?

Sorry, I guess I was on the wrong page with it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what do i check now

Check the SBF fusible links. Push them side to side and look for a break in them.

You originally posted the car won't start, this is how I got confused. I can't remember if it's SBF 4 or 5 that powers the windows so check them all. These are the clear topped box looking fuses.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are those under the hood or dash i have a fuse tester and so far all are good

It's in the box under the hood, your fuse tester won't work on these because you have no way to touch the tops like you do with the spade fuses.

You should be able to look in them and see if the copper is broken. Wiggle them though and I would use a flashlight as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I checked and those are fine, also my ac and heater wont kick on
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I checked and those are fine, also my ac and heater wont kick on....

Just to be clear, this car is starting and does have some electrical power to it?
Headlights are working and so on?

Is there anything else not working that requires the key to be on?
Wipers, headlights, you said the Hvac isn't working, what about the radio? Blower motor doesn't work at all?
Can you check fuses for power or just make sure they aren't open?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
far its jus the windows and ac n heater and i have 2 sunroofs and neither open, the radio works i checked all fuses and there good

You misunderstand my question, I need to know if these fuses are getting power, not just not blown.

Usually when you have so much not working at the same time they share the same circuit.

It's not very common for so much to stop working if it's on different circuits. I need to know there is power.

Really looks like SBF1 is the problem, can you swap it with SBF2 and see if there is any improvement?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There was no change

Ok, I am afraid we are going to need a test light to see if you have some blown smaller fuses going on here. With a test light you can make sure they are getting power which is what we really need to know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can that be purchased at an autozone

Yes, need to check fuse #15 inside the car and make sure it's getting power for me.

You need a 12 volt auto test light. It's got a pointer on one end and a clamp on the other. If you've never used one, it's east. The clamp goes on a ground, then the pointer is used on the back of the fuse. You can test something like the battery with it. Hook the clamp on the negative and then probe the positive, the light should come on.

That's a continuity tester

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok im on my way to go get 1

Ok

You have power to everything else and you need info to try and unplug the relay?
Can you upload a photo of the relay for me?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i will try to get a picture

Ok, usually there is a tab that has to be pushed in, but there are so many different connectors it's difficult to remember which ones are where.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok its in a tight spot so let me see if i can get in there n get a picture

Thanks.

Ok, it should have a tab on it. It either gets pushed in or pulled up so you can release the relay. You'll have to try and get a good look at it. I am sending a diagram of the connector and where the tab is located. I think I see it in the picture, but not sure.

If you can pull it out of the holder, then you can check for power on 2 of the wires in the back of it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do i pull it out without breaking it

Well, you have to push the tab in or pull up on it, then slide the relay out of the connector.

If you have the knee panel off it should make it a bit easier, the steel plate. These can be tricky but if you have followed power to the relay you have to test it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok i got it off do i use light tester to check for power

Yes, use the test light to check the wiring harness for power. With the key on you should have power on the following wire colors.

red/back stripe and yellow.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Theres power to wire but not relay

If the wires, have power, then the relay will have power when it's plugged in.

The relay is like a light switch. When you push the window button it grounds the relay and the power connects to a 3rd wire. This wire is black with a yellow stripe. So, plug the relay in, then press the window button and see if that wire gets power. If not, then there is likely a problem with the window switch. That will have to come out next to be tested.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok but its all the windows and my temp gage gas gage and speedometer still dont work

I get that, but we are working on the window circuit at the moment my friend. You have to start someplace. So far, if you have power on these wires, it tells me the fuse is good and the wiring from the fuse box to the relay is good. So the next step is looking for the power at the window switch.

No you can see why shops get good money for electrical work, it's not that easy :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i see that�� ok well they still dont work so how do i check for that

Let's finish checking the window relay, plug it back in and hit the window switch and see if the relay is working.

Let me know. The black/yellow should get power.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I replugged it and it still dont work, could it be illuminator control

Did you look to make sure the correct wires were in that relay?

You are my eyes here, I can tell you how to test, but I have to rely on what you are telling me. You said there was power to the two wires, were they the colors I told you they would be? If not, your on the wrong relay.

I have to pick this back up tomorrow because I was just signing off for the night.

Let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry yes it was those wires that i checked

So the black/yellow didn't get any power?

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician