Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

My '04 Suburu Forester has twice in the last 2 weeks, once…

Customer Question
My '04 Suburu Forester...

My '04 Suburu Forester has twice in the last 2 weeks, once when I started the car and once when it was running and I was about to move forward after waiting about 2 minutes at long red light, "refused to to budge!" It's a manual and would not go forward in 1st gear and would not budge in reverse! I finally got it to move forward from the red light by going heavy on the gas in first gear! In the other case, after about 90 minutes of leaving it alone, I went back and started it and had no problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

The first time I thought it was the emergency brake. The incident at the red light I had not used the emergency brake! The car has 187000 miles with no prior problems.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. It is at the dealer where it was left just 1 mile after the "red light' incident. I was lucky that I got it there and did manage to "roll" the car into the service lane where, a few minutes later when they tried to drive it in for service, it locked up and neither they no I could move it, until this morning, Monday, when it gave them no problem!

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Subaru
3/12/2018
Subaru Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

ok so I would start with a throttle body clean and reset, there are special sprays for this you can get any any auto parts store. Make sure to clean throttle body until there is no residue left, I like to use a tooth brush it seems to work the best. After that pull negative battery cable then positive touch both cable ends together for 1 min and then wait 15 more install positive then negative and start car.

There is no problem with the throttle. The car will simply not move or roll when it locks up. When leaving the red light I was able to get it to move "miraculously" but it would only go forward in low gear and it was as though the emergency brake was on, but of course it was not.No, I do not work on my cars. I am about 74 years old and am not mechanically inclined, other than changing oil, flats, etc.

So the engine will increase in rpms but the vehicle not move? and then you floored it once and it finally moved and it was ok ?

do I not get charged for the $26?
The reason I opted for the phone call is because the my.justanswer.com/app/s/0WI9D did NOT WORK, even when using 19D for the last 3 characters. So I feel frustrated.
Please refund all charges.

someone will call shortly