Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

Will not start. even tried jumper cables. borrowed moms car,

Will not start. even...

Will not start. even tried jumper cables. borrowed moms car, when I got back, it started fine. No hesitation. Could it be ignition thingy or battery or starter thing??

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

They are fine per my brother.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Subaru?

Outback legacy 1998

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am hoping my brother can fix it. Have tried nothing yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

This not starting has been going on for months, but seems to be getting worse. I need a new waterpump also so it has over heated a few times, could the excess heat cause something to break down? that's all.

i am waiting
3/12/2018
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you. I am reviewing your question now, and will reply shortly.

Does the engine crank and not start or not crank at all?

Np sound at all, no cranking

If you have a no crank issue and the battery and cables are good then the problem is either the ignition switch or the starter solenoid. You would need to check for power at the starter solenoid. This is the small wire on the starter and it should have 12 volts when the key is turned to the start position.

If you apply 12 volts to the starter solenoid and the engine turns over then the problem is probably the ignition switch.

The overheating issue may have caused the starter solenoid to get so hot that is has failed.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving a positive (3 star or higher) rating would be appreciated
You can do this rating by clicking on the stars.
This will not close your question and we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free!
I do not get credit unless you give a positive rating.
If you give a negative rating (2 stars or less) that does not result in a refund.
So please ask what you need more help with and let’s get your question answered!

Dan, ASE Certified Technician
OK I will tell my brother and may need to call back tomorrow. thank you very much.

Ok sounds good. thank you.