Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I’ve got a 1998 2 .2 litre Subaru Liberty and auto. It’s…

I’ve got a 1998...

I’ve got a 1998 2 .2 litre Subaru Liberty and auto. It’s overheating only when I drive , not even a couple of minutes. I can sit for 20+ minuets at idle and hold the revs to 2000rpm and the temperature doesn’t even reach half on the gauge.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

Yes. I have flushed the system, put in a new thermostat and a new radiator too. I have burped it also

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Liberty?

1998

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. It’s my daughters car. Was fine until it blew a top hose. Replaced all radiator hoses. Problem persists. Did the radiator, thermostat and added new coolant today

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that’s it.

3/11/2018
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

More than likely when driving that load on the engine is allowing it to squeak some combustion pressure by a bad head gasket into the cooling system and this causes an air pocket that prevents coolant flow. Idling and just revving will not put the amount of explosive force on the head gasket from the combustion ch***** *****ke driving does. I recommend a compression and leak down test done. Then we can go from there.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician
Thanks mate. I appreciate you advice and will get the tests done.

You are welcome