Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

My check engine light, traction control and cruise lights…

My check engine light...

My check engine light, traction control and cruise lights are on. I took it in and the code said it was my MAS was bad. I replace it and it was fine for about a month or so. The same lights are back on. Thought it could be a different code and took in back in for a code reading. The same code keeps coming back and I have replace the MAS.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

The engine and traction are solid, the cruise blinks,

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Subaru?

2011 forester

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?

I would like to. So far, replaced the MAS, new filter and cleaned the housing under the MAS.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I don't think so.

3/10/2018
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Turbo or non-turbo engine

And what is the exact fault code number? There are over 20 fault codes that the MAS sensor is a possible cause.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no turbo. i don't know the exact code
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what could be causing the lights?

HI,

Without knowing the fault code, I cant tell you how to troubleshoot the problem to find the cause

If you can get that and post it here, I can help

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

Was the mass air flow sensor replaced with an oem part or aftermarket?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it was. Does this make a difference?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it was an aftermarket.

Yes it can make a difference. I have never had good luck with aftermarket electrical parts on a Subaru.

Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, thanks. I think my next step would be to go with the part from Subaru.
Dan, ASE Certified Technician