Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I have a 1999 Subaru legacy outback limited, when I shift to…

Customer Question
I have a 1999...

I have a 1999 Subaru legacy outback limited , when I shift to drive it hesitates then it engages but when I travel some distance , and come to a complete stop and change to reverse on coming back to drive it does not engage what could be the problem?

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

I flushed the transmission fluid and both filters and put a new rubber gasket on the pan so it's not leaking any atf

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes am fixing it myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Could it be a faulty actuator

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Subaru
3/10/2018
Subaru Mechanic: Mike V., Subaru Technician replied 1 month ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

This is actually a common issue on this transmission. It's got a seal inside that will leak. When it leaks you can't get good pressure building up and that causes the delay. For it to not shift at all that would indicate the seal is getting stuck open. This really indicates the transmission is either going to need to be rebuilt or replaced.

I don't normally suggest it, but you might try some transmedic additive to the transmission fluid. This causes the seals to swell up a little bit and may plug up the leak. If not, you aren't really out a lot of cash because the transmission will likely need replacement. I suggest replacement because a used transmission is actually going to be less then a rebuild on an older model like this.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician