Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

Abs light on 2002 wax. Just the abs light. Scanned codes and…

Customer Question
Abs light on 2002...

Abs light on 2002 wax

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

Just the abs light. Scanned codes and it indicated bad signal from LR sensor. 1.05 ohms from both rear sensors measured at plug under seat.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '02 Subaru?

Impressa WRX 2 litre

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your WRX yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. since both rear sensors seem to be in spec, maybe plug at ABS control module ? Can’t seem to get it off.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Car has been in storage with few miles driven in past 10 years.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Subaru
3/9/2018
Subaru Mechanic: Canuck Tech, Automotive Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Automotive Service Technician

Hi there - it is doubtful there is a problem at the ABS control module, but not impossible...

I see a problem with the specs - Standard: 1.25 +/-0.25 k ohms

I interpret this as 125 ohms, +/- 250 ohms...

If the readings are indeed 1.05 ohms, that is a problem

Also, have you done this - Check the pole piece of the ABS sensor for foreign particles or damage. If necessary, clean the pole piece or replace the ABS sensor.

The car was scanned on Snap-On reader and it showed the right rear was ok ( the signal from the left rear was not a smooth signal on the scope as were the other 3 sensors).The right and the left both read the same which leads me to believe that both sensors are in range but low. (1.25 +/- .25 = a range of from 1 to 1.50 ? ) I do get DC voltage from the sensors on both rears when I spin the tires.I cleaned the pins and found some amount of metal debris. When i reinstall the sensor, is there an easy way to clear the fault so the light goes out until a new code is generated ?

Possibly disconnecting the battery will do it... I haven't chased this problem on an 02 for a few years, and I had a select monitor to work with...

If you put your meter on AC volts, it would give a better indication, as the sensor produces AC volts