Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I have a 2012 Subaru WRX STI. Recently spun a bearing. So i…

Hello there, so I...

Hello there, so I have a 2012 Subaru WRX STI. Recently spun a bearing. So i just had a new OEM Long block installed. I just picked it up today and about 50 miles later my check engine light came on and the code was a P0014. I dont know how this could have popped up if the AVCS solenoids are all new? Any suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Well when I first scanned it. I checked the oil level and it was fine and where it needed to be. So I erased the code and it came back on about 15 miles later. It does not blink, just stays on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your WRX yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am not. Just checked the oil level to make sure it was fine and clean.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing else, just that.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/9/2018
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Sounds good.

A workshop did the engine rebuild?

This is a known issue mainly with STI only.

Most are a programming issue ex factory, but depending on your current program, and other mods, this could still be a vvt issue.

P0014 is for exhaust camshaft bank 1.

The first thing to do now is swap the solenoids from bank 1 to bank 2.

Then clear the codes, and see what returns.

Gary

they do engine rebuilds. And the thing I have programmed is a stage 2 map to keep my intake and exhaust to run on the car safely.
What side would bank 1 be on?

Who's programming?

Cobb, Ecutek?

Bank 1 is passenger side for LH drive.

Gary

Cobb. Just a basic stage 2 ots map designed for a turbo back exhaust & intake running on 93 octane. (Catted exhaust).

You were running this map before the engine rebuild?

Have you contacted the engine shop about this P0014?

Gary

I had this map running before the whole longblock was swapped. Im going to the shop today, I just picked up the car yesterday.

With such a small amount of new miles, there is an issue they need to address.

Could be an oil flow problem within bank 1 cylinder head.

Hope they sort it for you.

Gary

Also, on the old long block before the rebuild, I had the same code pop up.

Sounds like it had an oil flow, cam phaser issue in that head, that is still there.

They should have investigated that prior, or during the rebuild.

Should have scanned the ECM for codes.

Gary

No no. This longblock is completely new. This isnt the same block that I had a bearing go. The longblock I got is brand new and oem. My old longblock was sent back to them as a core.

Ah yes, I've read wrong, my mistake, I was thinking short block and your original heads.

So a new oem long block.

I would like to think mechanical is correct.

So now a solenoid or wiring issue.

Do you know what oil is in the engine?

Has it run up any load and rpm as yet?

Gary

All good haha. I almost am leaning towards wiring issue causing it to possibly be stuck in the open position? Its really ironic how I get the same code even after the avcs solenoids are new. And the car is running fine. I drive and shift it under 3k rpm as of now just because the engine is new and needs to be adjusted. I stay out of boost until my next oil change which is in 500 miles.
Oil used and recommend by my local subaru is 5w-40 Rotella T6.

The oil is ok.

Don't be scared to load it some, a bit of boost is fine.

I would run a low boost map if you have trouble with it ramping in too quickly.

None of my cars ever get many miles on fresh engines before they are loaded.

One of my v8s a few years back saw over 7000 on the first day.

My WRX sees 19psi and 6500 at least once every day.

Get them to inspect the engine harness, and if necessary you might want to replace it, or swap it with another car. Or try an ECM swap first.

Gary

Sounds good. Do you think I should try to even put a multimeter to the actual solenoid itself? Just to see if theres power there in and out?

Yours is an intermittent, because of the mileage between when the code sets.

So considering your engine swap has involved your current original harness which may have been disturbed.

Off course, you have every right to contact the engine shop, but the blame game may begin. It's not us, must be the ECM, or the harness, or the new solenoids, or the new phasers etc.

Hope they are compassionate.

Gary

Soundss good. Thanks for the help!

I'll check back in on you in a few days to see what is happening.

Gary

Alright see you in a few. Thanks for all the help

No worries, come back when you know some more info.

Gary

Do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Gary

Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician