Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I have a 2010 Subaru Forester 2.5 x premium

Customer Question
I have a 2010...

I have a 2010 Subaru Forester 2.5 x premium vin.jf2sh6cc8ah797063 ,

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?

I bought it used with just under 85,000 mi. I got the carfax for it,no real tune -up was done,checked spark ignition with a induction timing light,there was indications of misfires,removed spark plugs,two had the pointed tips gone,two had .50 gap.Replaced plugs,but still have split-second misfire.The ECM never showed a misfire code.The fuel mileage is poor 18mpg.I am getting a p1153 O2 sensor circuit range/performance high. Both O2 sensors are new.Can the ECM be reprogrammed to fix this problem? Ivan C. Fackler

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you seen the misfire code before? Has the car been stalling?

There is not a misfire code being showed by the ECM. P1153 is a code for the front Oxygen sensor. Both O2 sensors are new.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

IS the ECM reprogrammable to fix these problems?Can the ECM be replaced with a used ECM? Where is ECM located in the car?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Subaru
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/8/2018
Subaru Mechanic: Canuck Tech, Automotive Service Technician replied 1 month ago
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Automotive Service Technician

Messing with the ECM won't fix this problem. But I'll give you some ideas that may help.

Do you have access to a scan tool that will read live data - this car has a wideband oxygen sensor. I would like to know the Lambda number. I can send you the diagnosis for the trouble code if you provide an email address.

Also, these cars are very sensitive in intake and exhaust leaks... an exhaust leak at the manifold will totally mess with the upstream oxygen sensor.

*NUMBER: 02-155-14R* DATE: 04/17/14 *REVISED: 10/10/14* APPLICABILITY:2005-12MY Legacy and Outback Turbo 2009-13MY Forester Turbo *2008-14MY Impreza WRX* SUBJECT: Intercooler/Intake Air Duct

This bulletin is applicable - a new intake duct.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ToCustomer My 2010 Subaru Forester is non turbo ,the exhaust manifold and gaskets are all new. I have Subaru OBDII code list,they go from P0011 to P2445, Please give the long meaning for Lambda number.I just have a OBDII code reader,the only diagnostic code that is shown is P1153 ho sensor upstream,no other codes in memory . Ivan C Fackler ***@******.***

My first question is regarding the new sensor - was it a genuine Subaru part, and has the wiring been butchered?

I have sent you an email.

Regarding the question about lambda, and the AF sensor, here is the story.

https://www.grumpymechanic.ca/wide-band-oxygen-sensor-operation-and-diagnosis

So, when you are looking at a lambda number, a reading of 1 would indicate a nice 14.7 air / fuel ratio.

Let's say the reading was .98 lambda - so the take stoichiometric - 14.7, and multiply by .98 = 14.4, so slightly richer than stoich... as an example.

I think you have an electrical issue, that will be solved by carefully checking connections, and checking the continuity of the wires from the from AF sensor, to the computer.

Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech