Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I have a question about the tires size, i want to know if i…

Hi my name is...

Hi my name is ***** ***** have a question about the tires size, i want to know if i can change a tire size on my subaru outback sport, this tire that i.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever changed a tire on this vehicle?

I have a quetion, if a tires on my subaru outback sport could be change the a diferent size? Those tires that it has now is to low, and around here there's so much pot holes

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Outback Sport?

I bought it new in 2010 it has 56k miles now

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback Sport yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, every time my son cut the tire in a pot hole, i bring it to put new original tire

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No i just want to know if i put a biger tire will cause any problem with the transmission. We just bougth a 2018 outback and pass this one to my son, so he's a new driver

3/7/2018
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Yes, you can change the tire size. Do you have a size you are thinking about so I can tell you differences in them compared to your OEM ones? If the change is not drastic, then no programming will be needed needeed for the speed difference.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician
Thank you for the answer, but i dont have a tire size, i just want to get a tire a little bigger or higher, so it will be stronger for those pot holes, till my son gets more experience of driving do you recomend a good size?

What tire size do you have now?

Right now the tire size is 205 / 50 / 17

The highest I would go would be 235-55/60

It may be best to have a used tire installed in the front and drive it around in the parking lot to see if it rubs and to check the clearance in the front to determine how much bigger you can go. 205 is the width of the tread in mm and 50 is the sidewall height, 50% of the width.