Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

Having some strange electrical issueswhen attempting to

Customer Question
Having some strange electrical...

Having some strange electrical issueswhen attempting to start

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Battery is newand ingood health no headlights turn on when the key is turned to the accescory position all the dash lights flicker rapidly and there is a tone of relay tick coming from behind the dash on the passengers side

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Subaru?

2009 subaru impreza

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Impreza yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, check battery terminals and starter which is also new

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The car was running fine, i drove it to a gas station to pick up some smokes and when i got back in to drive home this all started happening

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Subaru
Apologies for the rampant typos. I was using a mobile device earlier. Happy to clear up any miscommunications
3/7/2018
Subaru Mechanic: tamaz, Subaru master technician replied 5 months ago
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician

Hi,my name is ***** ***** I'm going to do my best to help you today.To make sure I don't miss anything give me a minute to review you question.

Hi,I have a couple of questions,first is there any aftermarket accessories installed on the vehicle like a remote starter or alarm,if so these components are usually connected to the ignition switch wiring inspect all these connections first.When the problem occurs can it be prevented by turning key faster in ignition ?If you have another key try using it to see if it makes a difference turning faster or slower.A worn key can sometimes cause poor contact in the the ignition switch and problems like yours can occur ,if you do not have another key and turning faster or slower does not make a difference it could be a ignition cylinder issue but a new key should be tried first.These are the first things to look at,I'll await your reply,thanks!

The speed at which the key is turned seems to have no effect on the start process. 4 days ago I installed some new speakers and a new head unit, to the car has been running fine up untill this point with no issue post install
Also only have one key
I can't imagine this would matter much at all however before I had left to go to the gas station I had plugged my dead phone I to the car to charge on the way. When I got there I turned the car off and powered on my phone before unplugging it. Idk if that makes a difference, i can't imagine it would

Hi,I believe this wouldn't be cause for the concern, I would first have the charging system checked even though a new battery has been installed a under performing alternator could be a issue.If the charging system checks ,key looks good (not worn) I would try to duplicate condition while being under the dash near relay block behind fuse panel,while buzz is happening see if relay for starter is the cause of the buzz,if so we would replace this relay if the fuses in this block are on the bottom the relay should be bottom left , if fuses are on top relay should be top right,if you are unsure the panel could be removed to check wire colors they would be white/black,white/blue,black/blue and white /black or white red depending if this is a standard or automatic transmission.

This is a 5 speed manual, what "buzz" are you referring to the relay clicking sound? I'll check this out shortly

Yes ,sorry

Okay, thanks again man. I'll check this out shortly and get back to you. Anychance these relays are interchangeable between years?if got an 04 Impreza outback sport and an 04 Forester we rally with I could pull from either

Yes,take a look under the hood in the 04 models there may be a relay in the box you could use if they look similar you can use it .

Just to confirm I'll be looking for the start relay in the 09 under the dash or under the hood?

under the dash

Was wondering if you could help me locate that relay in the 09 a bit better

When it happens, does the noise sound like from driver side?

It sounds like it is from the passenger side more so

The relay block is behind glove box then ,you can remove the glove box to see the block of relays

Just got in the vehicle with no key in the ignition and noticed the security light flashing

It should be if you start vehicle does it go off?

The vehicle doesn't start

Did you try jump starting?

Trying that now
Nothing

Are you jumping from another vehicle or with a jump pack, make sure connections are good

Jumped from another vehicle

When you say nothing happens do lights come on ,on dash

Now when the key is in the ignition the dash lights are flashing rapidly but there is no relay tick, if I let it sit the lights stop flashing and all that is on is a constant battery light and red oil light. If I try an use the windows I hear a clicking behind the glove box and all the lights flash

Sounds like poor connection,please check both cable connections

Battery connections seem good to me no build up or anything. I should mention my odometer is not displaying the milage when turned to accessory mode
Now when left in accessory mode there is constant relay tick under the dash with the check engine light blinking rapidly

do you have the green connectors on passenger side near floor connected?

What green connectors? The relay box behind the dash passenger side with 3, 15 amp fuse is where the ticking is coming from

If you turn ignition just to on you said check engine light is flashing rapidly, with a constant tick it sounds like it is in diagnostic mode, peel back carpet on passenger side close to firewall there should be a pair of green connectors if they are plugged in disconnect them and cycle the key the check engine light should not be blinking.There is also a set of these connectors in passenger side kick panel maybe yo connected them without realizing

I've never once been in that area of car, and certainly havent connected them since the car stopped runnin

Please check you are right in the area

Check engine light should not be flashing.

They are not connected

How about in kick panel on that side

Where is the kick panel, how would these have mysteriously got connected over the passed two days of me not being able to use the car?

I'm sorry I'm not there,who knows ,what I do know with check engine light flashing and relays clicking it means diag mode, are cooling fans shutting on/off under hood

No fans powering up
All of the lights in the dash are flashing rapidly not just the check engine light, previously the check engine light was not flashing with the rest
Subaru Mechanic: Dan, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Do you still need help?
to be honest the last guy was not really doing me to much Justice in actually diagnosing and repairing whatever caused the initial hiccup. How ever I ended up resetting the ECU and at least for the time being the issue has resolved itself.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving a positive (3 star or higher) rating would be appreciated
You can do this rating by clicking on the stars.
This will not close your question and we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free!
I do not get credit unless you give a positive rating.
If you give a negative rating (2 stars or less) that does not result in a refund.
So please ask what you need more help with and let’s get your question answered!

I am contacting you because this question has not been closed or rated.
This question will automatically time out after 7 days. Please let me know if you have any questions so I can help more.
A 3 star or higher rating would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.