Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

In warmer weather such as 65 degrees out. The car will be at…

in warmer weather such as...
in warmer weather such as 65 degrees out. The car will be at idle at a light and then I notice the radiator fan turns on and the car almost dies but then it comes back. This has been a consistent issue. Ideas. Battery? Alternator not charging enough. Fan motor about to die?
2/19/2018
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you. I am reviewing your question now, and will reply shortly.

Great thank you.

You could have a few issues. It is common for road dirt and debris to build up between the radiator and condenser, this will cause the fans to draw more current because of the extra load. The air cannot be pulled through the radiator and condenser effectively. Another possible cause would be a build up of carbon in the throttle body around the throttle plate. This will cause the engine to idle too low and almost stall at times.

I would clean the throttle body and use a garden hose to clean the radiator and condenser fins.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. A 5 star rating would be appreciated. This will not close your question and we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! I do not get anything for my time here unless you give a positive rating (3 stars or higher). If you give a negative rating (2 stars or less) that does not result in a refund. So please ask what you need more help with and let’s get your question answered!

Ok I will give those both a try.

Use throttle body cleaner and a rag to clean the throttle body. Remove both fans to clean the radiator.

Since this is an older model will I need an assistant to push the gas pedal to open the throttle body?

No you can just use your finger to open the throttle plate. Not much effort is required.

Ok I will address these both tomorrow and let you know what I find out. Thank you.

Ok thanks have a good night.

Hello Dan, Well both my throttle body and radiator are clean as can be. Ideas?
Hey Dan. Neither the radiator or throttle body is the issue. Ideas?
Did you check the front of the radiator? It has to be unbolted. Also it does not take much carbon on the throttle body? Did you remove the intake and clean around the throttle plate?
I see carbon on that throttle body. Focus on there the plate touches the housing on the edge of the plate.
Open the throttle plate and clean behind where the plate sits when fully closed.
Sorry I should have said I still cleaned it and there was not much of anything that came off
I did use throttle body cleaner as well
There may be an ecm update available for this. It may have already been done, the dealer would be able to check and perform the update no other shops can do this. I would ask the dealer to check for updates.
I have not had it at a dealership since I bought it. I have had the head gasket done last year by a local Subaru mechanic which is why I assume the throttle body was not as dirty. I do have a recall to take it in for so I will ask them to look at the ecm update as well. Thanks
Your welcome. Is the engine light on? Do you have any codes?
Also please remember to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit from the site. Thanks
Dan, ASE Certified Technician
No, no engine light. I just had the codes checked a week or so ago by a local mechanic. No codes. Thanks again and I will give a good rating.