Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I have a 2005 Subaru outback 2.5l non turbo with 260,000…

I have a 2005...

I have a 2005 Subaru outback 2.5l non turbo with 260,000 miles on it. Cranks but will not start. I just replaced fuel pump and it ran fine for a month but one day out of the blue crank no start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the engine's fuel supply? And the spark plugs -- are they all working?

I do have spark at the spark plugs. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge but from experience I don't think it is getting fuel. I get a quick 12v spike at the fuel pump connector with my multimeter with key on but the pump doesn't run to pressurize lines for 2 seconds like it used to.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have run a direct 12v to the pump and it runs.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have checked fuel pump fuse and relay, both are good.

Answered in 1 hour by:
2/17/2018
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

At the pump relay, is there a pin that is always powered?

Key on is there another pin always powered?

I wasn't able to check much because of the lousy location of the relay. It is to the right and above the glove box. I spent two hours getting the relay out to check it.

When you get a chance to, let me know.

I'm not sure I could get my leads up in there.

Since the relay is what powers the pump, that is where we need to diagnose at. Being you are not able to do it. I am not sure what kind of answer I can provide without diagnostics done.

I was able to put my meter on the connection at the pump and when I turn the key on I get a 12v spike. Would I get a continuous 12v this way while cranking the engine if the circuit was good?

Yes, you should get voltage to the pump till the fuel line is pressurized. The test I outlined is the start to see why you are not getting a longer power supply or a continuous one while cranking.

Ok. I'll have to tear into it again tomorrow to take the dash back apart to see if I can get my leads or at least probe wires up in there.

Thanks

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

I am satisfied with your answer. I haven't had a chance to go back into the dash to test the relay pins for power yet, but I know what I'm looking for now. Thank you.

Thanks for rating my answer once you get a chance.

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician