Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

Power steering squeal on startup and hard steering during…

Thank you. Power steering...

Thank you. Power steering squeal on startup and hard steering during maneuvers. Replaced pump, problems went away temporarily and have resumed. Bled pump only by lifting wheels up and turning wheels lock to lock. No other method

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?

Fluid itself is fine. Almost all flushed and replaced with ATF. I'm told now that the hard steering complaint has gone away for the most part (still somewhat present though on occasion)

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Subaru?

2010 forester

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?

Everything written above

1/27/2018
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.
Is the noise from the pump or the belt?

Honestly I don’t know. The noise started a while back. I wanted to evacuate the fluid to have that as a last ditch. I had a clear tube on the return line that emptied into a waste receptacle rather than go into the reservoir. I then had fresh fluid going from the reservoir into the system. There was almost no fluid transfer when the car was running. That, plus noise, plus the almost shredded (not joking, two ribs were left holding the belt together) alternator p/s pump belt. Add the battery light coming on a couple of times when u-turns were being made and I thought this was a binding pump.
There’s a little bit of leakage in the rack which is odd.
Belt was replaced along with the pump as well as fresh fluid. Pump is reman Cardone unit. Belt is Subaru, and fluid is Amsoil/Mobil-1 synthetic atf
Car only has 58k on it.

Is the fluid foamy? Where is the rack leak? At the bellose?

if you mean ‘bellows’). I haven’t checked in a while but I just remember them being ‘wet’ when it was there weren’t really any ‘leaks’.

Either pull the boot back or Pierce it to see if it has rack end seal failure

Hi. I couldn't get to the car until last night. Took the boot off and fluid dumped out on the floor. Really weird as there has been no fluid loss to the reservoir. Either way, I ordered a new (rebuilt) rack. Is there anything else I could/should be looking at?

Nope that's rack failure

Ok.
I've replaced racks before but this is the first time where its failure has led to pump failure symptoms. I shouldn't have been so lazy to sit on it for as long as it did. Would've saved me from having to buy and install a pump. I'll let you know how it goes when I get the part in. Thank you.

Great hope you can rate my service 5 star

john -aka eauto
Hi.
So I reserved closing the case just on the chance that it wasn't the rack (as I had a small reservation) and unfortunately replacing the rack hasn't helped. I get the same squeal on startup, loss of assist at idle when turning the wheel, plus erratic squeals.
I don't know what else to do. The only thing I could think of is a defective pressure hose or blockage at this time, but even though the two most expensive parts have been replaced on this, I don't feel like throwing more money at it (even though the rack had a leak). Do you have any more ideas or areas you could point me to?

Well if the rack was full of fluid it was 100 percent failed... What brand pump? Very likley a bad reman or defective unit?

It is a Cardone remanufactured unit (as noted above). The same as the rack. It's a heck of a coincidence that if it's a bad pump and exhibiting the same exact symptoms as I was experiencing before.

Cardone quality is iffy at best . Can you use a stethoscope and verify if the pump is noisey

I thought it was one of the better remanufacturers in business. Good to know for the future. I don't have a stethoscope, but I did hear it whining a little from yesterday but thought that was just fluid being pushed through from replacing the rack. Anything I can use in its place?

For a stethoscope. A long screwdriver. Is what I use often

The screwdriver worked well. There is a little whine but I compared it to the alternator and a/c compressor and they are identical in sound. If you were to blindfold me and ask me which was the noisiest, it wouldn't necessarily be the p/s pump.

I would do this when the noise is loudest

Interesting morning. So on startup, I did the screwdriver against the pump and it's just a little noisy but nothing that would make it seem so out of normal. Then while the steering wheel was being turned, the loud squeal came up and the pulley just stopped turning. Which now explains the belt shredding when I replaced the original pump and the little bits of new belt material all over the pump area. I find it hard to believe that both pumps would be identically faulty exhibiting the same issue as before.
Hi. I thought maybe you went away for the long weekend but now I'm thinking maybe you didn't see my message/question. Let me know what you think. I've seen a few things but I don't want to make a conclusion as you're more familiar with these systems than I am.
Hi. I don't know if you've seen my messages. I was looking to ask someone else as maybe you're not around or don't know the answer to my issue but I see that you're online so I might give it the last try before I ask someone else.
Do you know why the pulley/shaft would stop turning because of a steering wheel input at idle?

What pulley stopped moving? The ps pump?

did you not see my question/post from February 16?

I'm on my cell so no

Pulley would stop moving from internal failure..no other reason

This is what i wrote back in February. It's just odd that the replacement part is doing the same thing as the original part.16 February 2018 10:21Interesting morning. So on startup, I did the screwdriver against the pump and it's just a little noisy but nothing that would make it seem so out of normal. Then while the steering wheel was being turned, the loud squeal came up and the pulley just stopped turning. Which now explains the belt shredding when I replaced the original pump and the little bits of new belt material all over the pump area. I find it hard to believe that both pumps would be identically faulty exhibiting the same issue as before

You still running a cardone pump?

haha yes. Are you going to tell me what I think you're going to tell me?

Yup

I don't mean to second guess you but what's the chances that the same problem is exhibiting itself in two different parts? One new (rebuilt) and one old/original to car? I'm not a mechanic but I do wrench around a bit and the pervading thought is, if you're replacing something and the problem/symptom still exists, then what you replaced wasn't the problem. However, I've never gotten something that didn't work out of the box, where I'm sure you've seen that more than once in your lifetime. Am I irrational for thinking this way? I'll start a return process but now they're not going to refund me the money, just another Cardone unit.
Just to ask now though, who makes good remanufactured units?

Don't see any other cause. ...does the belt tension seem ok? Is the tensioner functioning correct? No kinks in pressure or return lines??

Belt tension seems to be fine. I don't have a measure, but the old inch depression in between pulleys has served me fine over the years and this tension is what it was before I replaced the pump. Maybe I'll tighten it a little more? No kinks in the lines. This car hasn't been worked on except for fluids changed and plugs and I did all the work myself so no one's been there to replace anything or repair a collision and introduce that as a possibility. The only thing would be a blockage in the line. I replaced the feed hose just because it was a little too brittle but that's about it.

Pull the lines and blow thru them with compressed air. If they are not collapsed it's belt tension or pump...

I'll do that before I put a claim in for a new pump.
At least I'm getting somewhere. I know you put in a lot of time on this and I'm appreciative of that, but I couldn't (still haven't) figure out this thing.
I'll let you know what happens.

Check the belt tensioner to confirm it's working properly

Hope you can rate my service 5 star