Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

My new key, on my 2009 Subaru Forester turned on my car this…

My new key, on...

My new key, on my 2009 Subaru Forester turned on my car this morning, but when when I turned the car off, it seemed to lose communication with the system and now the car will not turn on. I do not have a fob.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

It;s brand new. I had this problem with the key that came with the car, so I had a locksmith make me a new one.Worked fine for a few days, but now same problem with the ignition. Steering won't turn either, the lock/unlock button in front doors not functioning either

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I had it at a mechanic last week for an inspection, prior to getting a new key.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thanks

1/22/2018
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you. I am reviewing your question now, and will reply shortly.

Sounds like the issue has nothing to do with the key since it is doing the same thing as before. Check your battery, and battery cables, make sure they are both clean and tight. Have your battery tested if needed.

Low battery voltage could cause this problem. Also, check all of your fuses. The lock button not working is probably a separate issue. If all of these things check out, then you will need to replace the ignition switch.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving a 3 star or higher rating would be appreciated You can do this rating by clicking on the stars. This will not close your question and we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! I do not get credit unless you give a positive rating. If you give a negative rating (2 stars or less) that does not result in a refund. So please ask what you need more help with and lets get your question answered!

Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Dan, ASE Certified Technician