Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

2003 Wrx I was driving the other night and upon getting on…

2003 Wrx I was...

2003 Wrx I was driving the other night and upon getting on the gas and building boost the just shut off without warning, car was low on gas so I went and got a can full of gas and put it in car. car cranked but wouldn't start so a buddy came and towed it back to the house, upon further inspection I noticed the pump wasn't coming on at all so because I already had a new pump waiting to go in the car I proceeded to install it. nothing still so then I realized that my access port wasn't working and went and double checked all the fuses again and found one of the big square 30 amp fuses under the hood was blown, replaced it and wham car started rite up! took it for a drive and all was great until it started making boost and wham it blew again, glad I took one with me! changed it out and started rite up, took my time going back making sure not to build boost!!!! so my question is where should I start to look and what should I be looking for? and thank you for taking the time to read this any help would be a plus!

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your WRX yourself? What have you tried so far?

Haven't done anything since I got back, thought I would go online looking for help with the problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Think I explained it the best I know

1/22/2018
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Can I get the vin# ***** was this fuse 5?

don't have the vin handy but yes it was number 5

I should be able to get the right diagram knowing it was fuse 5. Following the diagram and based on "upon getting on the gas and building boost" I believe your wastegate solenoid is bad and shorting this circuit. Another possible cause that may fit is bad engine or trans mounts resulting in the engine rotating to much under torque and a wire harness rubbing ground. Below is a wire diagram. I would start by unplugging the waste gate and see what happens.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uf0ir6ajef6tamy/wastegate.pdf?dl=0

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician