Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

I have a 2008 car wont start. when I push down on the brake…

I have a 2008...

I have a 2008 car wont start. when I push down on the brake I cant move the shift. security light comes on when I try to start the car and it shuts down. security light stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?

Stays solid. yes I tried to reset

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '08 Subaru?

Outback ll bean

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried both keys and tried to unlock car manually as well. also try to rest the system buy putting the car in the on position holding unlock button down and opening door like the book suggest

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that should do it

1/21/2018
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you. I am reviewing your question now, and will reply shortly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you

I am sorry you are having trouble starting your vehicle.
You could try disconnecting both battery cables and holding the cables together for 5 minutes.
Disconnect the negative first then positive. Put them together and let it sit.

Reconnect positive first then negative.

If that does not work, then you will need the Subaru Select monitor scan tool to check for fault codes in the security system or immobilizer system. This is the only way you will be able to pinpoint what is causing the problem.
Make sure your battery is fully charged and the cables are clean and tight. Check all of your fuses there are two fuse boxes. One under the hood and one on the drivers side on the dash. You could also have an issue with the ignition switch itself. Also make sure the shifter is in park and the shift cable is properly adjusted.

I hope this information is helpful.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When you say put the together do you mean the two ends touching ?

Yes touch the battery cables together while they are both disconnected from the battery.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok will try in the morning thank you

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving a 3 star or higher rating would be appreciated This will not close your question and we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! I do not get credit unless you give a positive rating. If you give a negative rating (2 stars or less) that does not result in a refund. So please ask what you need more help with and lets get your question answered!

Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I undid the cables an d touched them for 5 minutes put back as told now car won’t even turn over

Is the battery fully charged? have you tried jump starting?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just attached my tender to charge but it was charged yesterday morning when the problem started. I still can’t move the shifter out of park even with my foot on the brake so I am assuming it’s a security issue. I was afraid to jump it because it seemed like the security issue that wouldn’t let it turn over.

Do the brake lights work with the key on and pressing the brake pedal?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ll check
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
they come on

press the manual shift release and put the transmission in neutral and try to start it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Already tried that it wants to turn over but it shuts down and the security light comes on.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I jump it it started and I can move the shifter. The battery is only a yr old so I don’t think it was that I think I just worn it down trying to start it yesterday. Should I drive it around to charge and then shut down and try and start again?

Yes let it run for a while to recharge the battery. Have the battery tested and replace it as needed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it possible wasn’t the battery I have never not been able to move it out of gear and the security light has never done that before just curious ? Also thank you for being responsive
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi brought the car to the battery shop and reconnected the terminals it was a 100 percent charged so hoping it was just the connections. Thanks again

Ok let me know if you have any other questioins

Dan, ASE Certified Technician