Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I have 34K miles on my 2014 Subaru Impreza sport limited.

I have 34K miles...

I have 34K miles on my 2014 Subaru Impreza sport limited. Hit a pothole and lost one tire today. Can I replace just one tire? will end up with 3 Yokohamas and 1 Kelly Edge all 205/50R17. will this harm my car? what if I get 2 of the kellys? should I put them on front or back?

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?

They are OEM yokahamas 3 years old, 34 k miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Impreza Sport yourself? What have you tried so far?

Took it to tire shop here in NYC. said I could do one tire. one flat tire but no other problems

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, that's it

1/19/2018
George H.
George H., Subaru Certified Technician

Hello I will help,

Probably you will need to replace them all. The guide is no more than 3/8 inch difference in circumference between the tires and I think if measured you will find that the old ones are worn enough that a new one will fall outside the guideline.

Fail to heed this and you will damage the transfer case or differential and the minimum cost to repair that damage is $1700 so a set of tires is much less.

Have the shop mount the tire they want to sell you then do the measurement. If it is within 3/8" of the others then you will be OK.

Please let me know if you have further questions

Thanks

Hi I thought the tolerance could be 1/2 of an inch?
the OEM Yokahamas are 50K tires right? So I have a lot of life left in them..

3/8ths is the spec taught in the Subaru training courses I have taken. I have heard the 1/2 but you are really playing with fire if you go that far. It just costs too much to gamble here.

wow 3/8 is easy to cross with wrong amount of inflation too right?

50 K is a sales tool. Life depends on the type of driving you do. If it is all highway at steady speed you will see the max. If you do a lot of city driving with lots of turning and braking then it will be less.

Yes, 3/8 with the tires inflated to the spec on the door placard.

they have to mount the car & measure the circumference with a tape measure and make sure not exceeding 3/8ths?
is getting 2 Kelly's for the front or back and leaving 2 yokahamas an option? money is tight and I want to be careful.

Yes, it can be done on the tire mounting machine once the tire is inflated. The other tires will be hanging free on the rack.

The transfer case is in the middle of the car and always engaged. All 4 must match

George H.
George H., Subaru Certified Technician