Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

New battery, but no power to car. Consistent. 2014 Outback.

Customer Question
New battery, but no...

New battery, but no power to car

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Subaru?

2014 Outback

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked voltage of battery, checked ground

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Subaru
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/19/2018
Subaru Mechanic: Mike V., Subaru Technician replied 5 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

ok

This usually means the main fusible link is blown. Check the fuse box under the hood, there should be a large fuse bolted into the box. Disconnect the battery and remove it and check it for continuity if you have a meter. It's got a clear top, so you might be able to look in it and see that it's blown as well.

Let me know.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me.
Thank you so much!

do you mean the main fuse?

Yes, it's actually a fusible link. It's bolted to the box and when blown will prevent any power at all to the car.

I took a voltage meter e and touched the black to the - post on the battery and the red to both ends of the fusible link (one side at a time) and got 13.3 volts on both sides, does this mean that it is not blown?

It does seem to indicate it's not blown, but I still would remove it and check the continuity.

Can you check some of the other fuses in the box for power?

OK, I will do that. if the fusible link is good should I not at least get hazard lights?

You should be getting something for sure.

I know this is a stupid question but I have had it happen to me here before. You have removed all the plastic covers off the battery terminals right?
The other fuses should have some power in that box if the link is good.

the battery was installed by a mechanic and the car functioned properly for about 4 months after that. How to I check the fuses for power? with the volt meter?
is there a way to test the fuses for power without removing them?

You can do it with a meter if it will fit in the backs of the fuses. The blade fuses have small windows in them. Just put one lead on the negative battery terminal and then the other in the small window.

I checked the fusible link and all of the fuses for continuity and they all passed

Then the positive cable where it bolts to the fuse box has a problem. If you have battery voltage on the battery and nothing in the car, the fuses aren't getting any power. If the main fusilble link is good, then there has to be a disconnect on the positive cable.

when i put the negative side of the multimeter on the negative battery post (or engine block) and the positive side on either side of the fusible link I get 12.6 volts, does that mean power is getting to the fuse box but not beyond that? Is there somewhere else I can check?

That does mean there is power to the box. Were you able to test for power on any of the other blade fuses?

do you mean the ones in the engine compartment fuse box? would I just touch the - of the multimeter to the - battery post and the + to the top contact on the blade fuse?

Yes and yes, the fuse has a small window at the top in the plastic for testing.

Test the fuses in that box, not all of them but a few of them to see if they are getting any power. IF the link is good, some of the fuses should have power. If they don't then the box has an issue inside.

about 75% of the fuses had power

But you have no power to anything inside the car? Dome lights or anything?

Completely dead?

completely dead

Ok

Got to the fuse panel inside the car and check for power on some of those fuses.

With your meter, you need to put the negative lead on something metal and then use the positive on the fuses.

Let me know.

doesn't appear to be any power to the box inside the car

Ok

Check the other fusible links on the box outside. These are the square ones with clear lids and will be labeled SBF for example SBF-5 if one is bad it can cause the issue with no power to the inside fuse box. You should have some electric in the car, but check them anyway.

I have to step out for about 30 minutes and will reply

All of the SBF fuses are ok

Ok

Sorry to say there really isn't anything else I can do from here to help you out.

Without being there, I really can't see any reason for the car to be completely dead like this.

ok, thanks for your help

I think we have done all that we can do in the driveway like this. If you do get it repaired I would really appreciate some follow up to know what the problem was.