Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

The Air flow selector appears to remain in the outside air…

Hi. The Air flow...

Hi. The Air flow selector appears to remain in the outside air option and the switch light remains off when i depress the airflow selector button on my 2016 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium. Depressing the airflow selector button should operate the air flow to recirculate interior air and light up the button. What is wrong?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

There are three wheels center dash that operate the A/C heat. The middle wheel has a recirculate symbol in the middle of the wheel, wheich, when depressed, should switch air flow from external air intake to internal air recirculate.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?

I looked at the manual to verify my understanding of how it should work. It's not working as specified in the manual

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope. that's my story and I'm sticking to it ;-)

1/18/2018
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

your understanding of the re circulation system is correct

there is a motorised flap that moves to close off the intake from the outside and forces the blower fan to pull from the inside of the car

now the system will try and start you up in re circulation mode when its cold outside as this warms the car faster

it will then switch over to fresh air once the interior temperature comes up

but you should still be able to force it over to fresh air / recirc by pushing the button

usually you can hear the blower fan change note as its usually noisier when on re-circ

if its not then I'd next check you can control temperature and that the AC switch's on and off. as this shows if the climate control is working

you can also try putting it into a diagnostic test by following this procedure

try this procedure

and let me know what you find

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It has been very cold here of late (32F or lower). Your explanation was helpful that when it is cold, the recirc starts in the recirc mode automatically, then when the car interior warm up, it automatically reverts to external air.Adjusting the tempurature knob from cold to hot results as expected, as did depressing the A/C button, which produced cold air. So, we know the overall system is working.However, I experimented by setting the set the airflow mode selector knob through the various settings and observing how the recirc button responded with each setting. When I initially logged the request for help, I neglected to mention that the airflow mode selector was in the heat/Defrost setting. I found that the recirc button is not responsive with either the heat/defrost or Defrost setting. However, the recirc button does respond when the airflow mode selector knob is set to either ventilation, bi-level or heat.The question remains: Should the recirc button work when it is cold AND the the airflow mode selector knob is set to EITHER the Heat/Defrost or the Defrost setting?

Hello

thanks for the extra information so it sounds like its all working normally to me

the recirc is disabled when you're in defrost, as when you draw in from inside the car typically it has a higher level of humidity ( due to the passengers insisting on breathing out) and this greatly reduces the chances of being able to demist the windshield

Matt, Engineer
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thanks Matt. That resolves all my questions.
Matt, Engineer