Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

I have a 2009 Subaru forester and just got new Michelin

Customer Question
I have a 2009...

I have a 2009 Subaru forester and just got new Michelin tires of the same size that I replaced. I had the car for 4 years and never saw the tpms. The tires were replaced at a reputable garage and I watched them set the pressure at 32 psi. The TPM light came on and stays on and then blinks. When (exactly) the light came on, I am not sure but the tires look perfect. The owners manual said to drive it but keep track of it and/or take it to your Subaru dealer. I did some research and see that will be expensive and in my opinion and yes safety, I think the changing of the tires somehow tripped the monitor system and the tire pressure is fine. Can I reset the monitor in any way? Battery cable off or Fuse out for a while to let the computer reset?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked your tire pressure? Do you have a tire gauge?

Yes I checked and all are very close to 32 psi

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing as of yet, because I feel safe. And, this is the first car I have owned that had a TPMS so I am just now learning. And, coincidentally, I need to have it inspected in a month.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Subaru
1/17/2018
Subaru Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 1 month ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The first thing to do is check the air pressures.If they are right at the minimum add about 1 to 2 psi more of air into each tire.I have seen in several cases as sensors wear over time that I have had to add a couple more pounds of air to each tire to keep the light off.If all tire pressures are o.k. it is very possible a tire pressure sensor has failed on its own or was damaged when the tires were replaced.I have seen both occur before as well.A local tire shop will usually read the sensor signals and data from each sensor at no charge to you to see if you need a new sensor.If you need a new sensor then the tire will need to be removed to replace it and this charge can run around $100 in some cases to have one single sensor replaced ( with the cost of the sensor included).

Here is the only manual reset procedure for your model.If this does not work you will need to have a tire shop or dealer read each sensor to see if one has failed as I suspect one will need to be replaced.

Tire Pressure Indicator Reset

The tire pressure monitoring system is NOT a substitute for manually checking tire pressure. The tire pressure should be checked periodically (at least once monthly) using a tire gauge. After any change to tire pressure(s), the tire pressure monitoring system will not re-check tire inflation pressures until the vehicle is first driven more than 20 MPH (32 km/h). After adjusting tire pressures, increase the vehicle speed to at least 20 mph (32 km/h) to start the TPMS re-checking of the tire inflation pressures. If the tire pressures are now above the severe low-pressure threshold, the low tire pressure warning light should turn off a few minutes later. therefore, be sure to install the specified size for the front and rear tires.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician