Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

I have a 2007 Subaru Forester 4 cylinder engine that

Customer Question
mysteriously loses 3 quarts of...
I have a 2007 Subaru Forester 4 cylinder engine that mysteriously loses 3 quarts of oil a month. No smoke from exhaust, no signs of oil leaking, no oil in the water. Head gaskets were changed 6 months ago. Any idea where, what is causing the oil loss? Place that changed the head gaskets just say to keep an eye on the oil level. I'd buy that if it was less than a quart a month, but 3 is too much.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Subaru
1/17/2018
Subaru Mechanic: Pete, Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Pete, Mechanic

How many miles on the engine? Did they do any head or engine work or did they just replace the head gaskets

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
80,000 miles. They just changed the head gaskets

I take it that the head gaskets where replaced because of oil leakage. Common subaru problem. How much oil were you adding before the gaskets were replaced?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah, it was typical head gasket failure of these motors. It leaked about half a quart a month and was getting worse when we had it done.

Ok sorry to tell you this but the same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. I did the gaskets on a very good customers car and after the job the car started to drink oil. It was burning oil but didn"t show any smoke. I was baffled. So the way I proved it to myself was to put new spark plugs in. Drive for 2 weeks ,take the plugs out, and there it was, number 2 and 4 cylinders plugs were showing that they were burning oil. Just the act of removing the heads, was enough to damage the valve seals, since they were brittle and old. The car I did had 90,000 miles on it. I learned my lesson. Ever since, I replace the valve seals,and sometimes the guides when i do these jobs. I know your mechanic is not going to be happy to hear this but I wasn't to happy at the time either.

Another thing. Im sure your mechanic has ckecked this already, but, there might be an issue with the pcv system.But usually a pcv problem will show a lot of smoke.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hmm, I'll have to check the spark plugs and ask the garage that did the work if they changed the valve seals. Gives me something to look at anyway. Do you just pull the hose off the outlet of the pcv valve to check for oil? Thanks for your help.

They wouldn"t have replaced the valve seals when they did the head gasket but you can ask. And yes, just ck the outlet of the hose, there shouldn"t be any oil in the hose. Good luck with it.

.

Pete, Mechanic