Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

Whining in reverse and steering wheel grabs. I noticed when…

Whining in reverse and...

Whining in reverse and steering wheel grabs

Mechanic's Assistant: How has the car been driving lately?

I noticed when I first start driving my steering wheel jerks a bit ...no issues when I am driving later

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Subaru?

2009 forester

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?

Haven't tried to fix...was thinking of taking to my local repair

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that's it

1/15/2018
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

When the steering jerks is this when your driving straight and on a flat road or when turning or over bumps?

Does it feel like the transmission is slipping in reverse or just the whine noise and is this the same whine noise it used to have when reversed at a higher speed?

Let me know, thanks, Pete.

The steering jerks when I am turning my wheel and backing out of my parking space. The whining is when I am back up...not at high speed Not sure if it is slipping in reverse

O.k., the whining and steering jerk are most likely related.This sounds like an issue with the power steering pump itself failing or the steering gear/rack and pinion gear or low fluid level in the power steering reservoir due to a steering component leaking.

What I would do first here is check the fluid level and see if it is low.If it is low then there is a leak in one of the steering components like a leaking pump or hose needing to be replaced.The leak would then need to be repaired and the fluid-filled properly.

If the fluid level is o.k. then the pump pressure needs to be tested on a cold start to see if it is low with the pump needs to be replaced and if the pump is o.k. on pressure and fluid level then usually the steering rack and pinion gear need to be replaced to resolve this issue here.

But these here will cause the issues you have described and need to be checked into to locate and repair this fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

If I fill the power steering fluid will it keep the pressure up until I can book the vehicle into repair shop later this week?

If the fluid is low you can add fluid to keep the whining away and steering issues away in most cases until you can have it looked into and repaired.But if the fluid is already full then this isn't a leak issue and the steering components listed above would need to be checked into as soon as possible to locate and repair the fault.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Thank you for all your information

Your welcome