Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

My 2011 subaru outback is experiencing excessive steering…

Hello, my 2011 subaru...

Hello, my 2011 subaru outback is experiencing excessive steering wheel vibrations at speeds 60+ I have 60K miles on it now

Mechanic's Assistant: How often does the vibration occur, and when did you last have the tires balanced?

Just started 24 hrs ago. I had the wheels balanced probably 9 months ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I do not plan on fixing it myself. I tried nothing so far

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

My area just experienced a winter storm that dumped 15+ inches, and temperatures are zero with a current windchill -10 to -30, now

1/6/2018
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, I am Randall. I am near 100% you have ice/snow buildup on the INSIDE of the tire rims. Not outside as you can see that but the inside. With snow and low temps,? snow will gradually build up on the inside of the rims and does not take too much to cause tire balance to go out. The snow/ice is now working as wheel weights. I know its cold, cold here too but what you need to do is tun the front wheels as far to one side as you can and look behind the wheels so turming like this allows you to see behind the wheels better.Again, we are expriencing same thing around me and even my vehicle had this problem a couple days ago. One has to use a long bar etc whatever you have to scrape the snow/ice buildup off the inside of the wheels.Not hurting anything like this but is annoying.Its not a hard fix but when cold out just not fun getting on knees to scrape the ice/snow off, Hope this all helps

Rate my service by using the stars at the top of the page. Just Answer can only compensate me for my time and resources after feedback rating thus rating is required . Rating includes any follow-up questions you may have once you leave feedback rating. Free trials and member questions still require a service rating
Thank you so much!Randal
l

Thank you Randall, I will do what you recommended, but if I clean the ice/snow buildup from the wheel wells and the steering wheel vibrations continue, what should I do next?

Sorry for the delay, internet went down from snow storm I guess. :( to me? you will NOT need to worry about that as I am that confident. Vibrations just do not start that quick and at same time snow /ice etc. outside of that since you asked? a wheel weight could have come off, so rebalance would be step one, a bad tire can cause this even if they look good, a belt could? have slipped, I have seen new ones do this. lastly? something like a tie rod end is worn but o NOT panic, easy repair but really seriously doubt this as it happend so quick,

Please remember to rate service using the separate pop up rating page. Thank you

Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician