Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

My 1999 subaru forester was running fine. tried to start it…

Customer Question
My 1999 subaru forester...

My 1999 subaru forester was running fine. tried to start it in very cold conditions, battery cranked, engine turned over but died after 12-15 seconds tried repeatedly - same result,

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the engine spark at all? Is there a trouble code or is your "check engine light" on?

Yes engine comes on, didn't notice check engine light

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?

Im going to have to have a mobile mechanic come probably. One point though, a year ago I had a similar problem and a friend checked it and the vacuum hose had come loose. I havent checked under the hood yet. could this be the problem?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that i can think of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Subaru
1/5/2018
Subaru Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

With a battery dying that quickly I would think you have a battery issue, have you tried jumping it or getting the battery checked?