Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I have 2000 subaru outback it has 3 wire coil and no igniter…

Customer Question
I have 2000 subaru...

I have 2000 subaru outback it has 3 wire coil and no igniter all three wires go to mas air flow sensor and i can not find any wiring digrahms thateven come close to matching this wiring wiring has not been touched and ran until head gasket changed i am stumped if i could find a good wiring diagram that went with this wiring im sure i could figure it out any clues i have a no spark on any cylinders

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual?

Yes i have acesss to carquest data bank and still no help with wiring i have been using motorlogic

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i have checked all fuses all wiring harness continity on all connection crank and cam sensors i get fuel but no spark

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I need some one familiar with this model car because according to my wiring diagrams it should have a 4 wire coil

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Subaru
1/5/2018
Subaru Mechanic: Marty, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, my name is***** the vin number and I will see if I can locate a good wiring diagram for you.

Marty vin4S3BH6862Y7661349

What color are the wires going to the coil?

from top of coil 1st wire red and green 2nd wire is white the goes to white and black at connector in harness and 3rd wire is black fourth hole is factory plugged coil does have 4 pins
Im assuming white white is the 12 volt supply no 12 volts to any pin green and red has 5.7 volts with ignition switch on black wire no voltage

What color are the wires going to the TPS?

I will have to go check be right back
green, black yellow, black, red black

The colors just aren't matching up with my diagram. Any chance you could have swapped some connectors around?

i dont think so i marked and lable all connectors before disasemble and took pictures thats the same problem im running into no wire colors match up with any wiring diagrams . i would just like to know what pin supplies power to ecm and coil

It's hard to say because the schematics don't match up. Is this a US car? Have you checked all fuses?

checked all fuses checked all grounds added a few extra grounds to engine one thing i did notice is voltage on red yellow wire on coil pin 1 voltage of 5.7 goes up to 9.8volts if i remove engine ground from wiring harness that goes to brown connecter to firewall. which im assuming i have an open circuit some where

Ok, is this a US model? Any chance the engine has been swapped?

i believe it is according to vin number i bought from a guy who blew head gasket and replaced head gasket then dropped a valve then i put another motor in it
i used all the original wiring harness back on it so im using same parts that came with it
Did subaru make a ignition system 3 wire coil with no igniter i have take wiring harness apart and traced wire back and have not found an igniter which from everything i read there should be one and y would coil wires lead to Map

It's late here. I'll see what I can find in the morning.

Is there a way to check map sensor to see if i have an open circuit the map thanks marty I wont be able to chat until saturday tommarrows late nite at work . Any suggestions would be great

I could not find anything that matches your wiring. I am going to opt out so the other experts can see the question.

Thanks for the help marty

Wish I could help more. Send me some pictures of your wiring, your coils and engine compartment and I may be able to figure something out.

Ok
Marty here are some photos if
you need some thing better or more detailed let me know
IMG_1158.JPGIMG_1158.JPGIMG_1167.JPGIMG_1167.JPGIMG_1188.JPGIMG_1188.JPGIMG_1170.JPGIMG_1170.JPGIMG_1163.JPGIMG_1163.JPGIMG_1168.JPGIMG_1168.JPG

In your second picture I see what might be some spliced wires going to the coil. Is that correct?

I had broken wire to coil so I replaced wire to restore continuity

Ok, are the colors the same before the splice?

no they are not but they all just connect to right wire that go to control module My biggest concern is i have no ignitor and no 12 volts to coil but i do have a 3 wire coil factory plug and wires I would like to find the source of 12 volt to coil if it come off starter or ignition switch or control module if i can find the source i probably can trace the wire to the problem ECM Has power because it sends fault codes to scanner so I dont think ECM IS problem if i disconnect Mas sensor it tells me i have no data coming from it im just missing 12 volts and i dont want to hook jumper to coil then i would have to put in a diode to keep feed back going back to ECM . If that makes any sense

When you gave me the wire colors for the coil, did you give me the colors of the original harness?

they where original colors

Ok, can you give me one more picture of the overall engine compartment?

Just a good picture of the overall engine compartment. More of a top view if you can.

Marty figured it out

Hi, what did you find?

Kevin C.
Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.