Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

The engine seems to be suffocating. 95000. Automatic with…

Customer Question
The engine seems to...

The engine seems to be suffocating

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

95000. Automatic with sport shift

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Subaru?

2009 legacy 4 door se***** *****mited

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Legacy yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes Changed front cat myself had a muffler shop replace rear cat had the dealership replace ignition coil packs

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Subaru
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/4/2018
Subaru Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 6 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you,I will try to help you with this issue

If you do not mind me asking ,are you looking at fixing this yourself or looking to know the most possible cause of this issue and taking it to repair shop for the work ?

Do you have any prior experience in electrical troubleshooting and testing with a test light for power & ground ?

Do have a power probe for testing ?

Do you have a test light so we can check for spark ?

Do you have fuel pressure tester to check for fuel ?

Did you scan it with factory scanner or equivalent to retrieve faults codes for vehicle modules ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

My buddy has most, if not all, of that stuff. When I took it to the dealership, the code was for the front cat.

did you Remember the fault code #

i need that if possible

try this reset

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .the reason we do that is to take any residual power in the wiring harness to try to reset the modules ,and there will be no spark created touching them since we took battery power source out of the loop by taking both cables off

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 30 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables ,Positive cable First

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

I will try that. We towed it over to his house last night. I won’t have access to it until tomorrow morning. Do I just reply on here how it goes (tomorrow) and we go from there? I’ve never done this before.

no worries ,I understand

we can continue any time you want Read below how to get back in touch with me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

I pay you before I know if the answer(s), remedied my situation? I’m not comfortable with that. It said I would be 100% satisfied with my answer. I haven’t been able to test your theory yet. Can’t I just plug back into this thing tomorrow while I am with my vehicle, try your suggestions and then pay you?

you do not have to rate me now , rate me when you want sir

you paid the website not me , i get paid if you rate me and i do not handle billing or have access to it

when you ready reply back to me , if you have the tools and the knowledge to test i can help you

i have helped 4200 plus members so far

good luck to you sir

actually I will opt out of you question and open it for other expert to assist you on this one

please do not reply back to me since it will lock the question back to me and other expert want see it to assist you and you waist the money on me